GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspect steals Winnebago RV and crashes into my R

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Can’t make this stuff up. Slowing for traffic at a freeway interchange, going about 55mph. Winnebago RV doing about 85mph smashes into the rear of my car and sends me sideways into a guardrail. Driver gets out - clearly SMI - pajama bottoms, prison tats, and dreadlocks down to his waist. Starts screaming about the government chasing him, just getting out of prison, Biden killing babies, etc. Troopers show up and he tells them he just stole the RV and was running from the government.

Pretty sure my car is totaled.

1F7999F6-C6DB-4198-B0E0-22AD7078EC95.jpeg

D2A7E437-1F01-4603-877D-6826E7D61390.jpeg

C0E57D29-FC71-4C28-9D56-F3432B9FBD38.jpeg

CD76DD46-DC27-4EC5-86D3-17C134E6596B.jpeg

D52C3016-E10E-47A4-8238-9AC5BF1D151C.jpeg

Could use some advice on dealing with the insurance adjuster. I’d like to buy it back and part it out if possible.

I will say - those Germans know how to build a car. Took a pretty good hit and my daughter and I are fine.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Glad y'all are ok.
Man, with most everyone's cars on here, what really sucks is all the time, effort & money we've put in. Having to start over because some asshat destroyed it just sucks.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Glad y'all are ok.
Man, with most everyone's cars on here, what really sucks is all the time, effort & money we've put in. Having to start over because some asshat destroyed it just sucks.

Thanks. Being that neither my daughter or I were hurt, I think that’s what stresses me out the most. I know I’ll never get back the amount of money I put into the car, but trying to get fair market value alone - never mind the thousands in aftermarket parts and countless hours I put in working on the car myself.

That water pump settlement better come through. 😂

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Thanks. Being that neither my daughter or I were hurt, I think that’s what stresses me out the most. I know I’ll never get back the amount of money I put into the car, but trying to get fair market value alone - never mind the thousands in aftermarket parts and countless hours I put in working on the car myself.

That water pump settlement better come through. 😂

Parts could be pulled off if you had it towed home (I hope(

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
this sucks big time for you. As mentioned no injuries is the big thing and under silver lining: You've got on heck of a CSB

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Glad you and your daughter and the suspect were relatively unharmed!
Tow it home if you want to part it out!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Keep in mind that parting out CAN take some time and you could have a hulk of steaming poo in your possession for some time. If you have the room and time to disassemble, catalog, sell, etc. that's great! But it might be easier to just let it go!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's some crazy shit. Glad you and your daughter are OK.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Hoping to get a call from Progressive today or tomorrow. I’ll know what direction to go once that conversation happens.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You had those wheels like a month, right? Guess you can get the one replaced on the cheap from Apex, it looks like it held up pretty well, all things considered. Glad you and your kid are okay. My wife and I totaled three cars in 10 months, all fault free, but I'm still dealing with raised rates five years on.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
You had those wheels like a month, right? Guess you can get the one replaced on the cheap from Apex, it looks like it held up pretty well, all things considered. Glad you and your kid are okay. My wife and I totaled three cars in 10 months, all fault free, but I'm still dealing with raised rates five years on.

Yep, about a month.

The hard part is, I’m already out thousands of dollars immediately. Even if I bought the exact same car, at the exact same price, with the same down payment, and financed the exact same amount - my payment would still go up $50-$70 a month simply because interest rates are out of control. I financed at 2.54% two years ago. The average now is over 7% with top tier credit. Crazy times.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yep, about a month.

The hard part is, I’m already out thousands of dollars immediately. Even if I bought the exact same car, at the exact same price, with the same down payment, and financed the exact same amount - my payment would still go up $50-$70 a month simply because interest rates are out of control. I financed at 2.54% two years ago. The average now is over 7% with top tier credit. Crazy times.
Yeah, that’s the spot I’m in with my R. My GTI is paid for and current loan rates are bad enough I’d prefer to pay cash, which isn’t a move I was planning on. I could take the risk that I’d be able to refinance, but not sure I want to bet on when that might happen.