GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Superpro Lower Control Arm Kit (not the alloy one)

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I don't have any personal experience but I know with the other control arms they move the wheels way forward in the wheel wells. It gives the car a very goofy look imo.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I don't have any personal experience but I know with the other control arms they move the wheels way forward in the wheel wells. It gives the car a very goofy look imo.
Yeah I've seen that, and I agree about the aesthetics.

I think though, that there may be different versions of the bushings available - one that adjusts the caster as you eluded to, and another that leaves it closer to stock. If so, its unclear which variety these steel arms have in them. I could also be completely mistaken.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Yeah, thanks. I did search. Found lots of threads about the alloy superior arms, but nothing about the ones in the link I provided which are not alloy.
The ones you show above are the same as the aluminum alloy arms, functionally. They just aren't shiny, same suspension geometry. Now, IIRC there are some superpro arms that add camber or caster or something, and there's interplay issues with those and some other suspension bits. but these are the factory spec with better bushings. You're good. If you have a DSG you'll probably have to drop the subframe slightly. If you're doing that, you may as well get a deadset kit since you should be replacing any factory subframe hardware that you remove or loosen. And if you're doing that, you might as well do the front sway while you're in there.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
If you're thinking of going to poly to reduce noise, you probably won't be pleased. Given these are just the stock arms with non-geometry-adjusting bushings pressed in, you could get the RS3 bushings instead and have a more pleasant setup.
I'd forgotten about just doing RS3 arms.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you're thinking of going to poly to reduce noise, you probably won't be pleased. Given these are just the stock arms with non-geometry-adjusting bushings pressed in, you could get the RS3 bushings instead and have a more pleasant setup.
Got it. That is very helpful, thank you. The car isn't being tracked or even auto x'd - just some occasional spirited driving A to B. So realistically, I'm more after something perhaps a little more robust that won't give up the ghost after 40k miles.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The ones you show above are the same as the aluminum alloy arms, functionally. They just aren't shiny, same suspension geometry. Now, IIRC there are some superpro arms that add camber or caster or something, and there's interplay issues with those and some other suspension bits. but these are the factory spec with better bushings. You're good. If you have a DSG you'll probably have to drop the subframe slightly. If you're doing that, you may as well get a deadset kit since you should be replacing any factory subframe hardware that you remove or loosen. And if you're doing that, you might as well do the front sway while you're in there.

Good point...they're prob just a steel stamped version of the alloy arm...so fitment *should* be the same or very similar. Duh, sorry.

Fortunately in this case I have a 6sp. Downside is I don't have a driveway, so hopefully I can beg someone to borrow their driveway for a bit.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I did see those. At some point I thought I saw some not so great reviews (could have sworn it was on the ECS site). They seem to be gone now. :unsure:
I bought one of the earlier sets. They were using refurb'd arms and mine showed up with some corrosion. Bushings are fine though, the whole thing is OE hardware. I assume their QC has improved (BFI is generally pretty good). The geometry on the steel superpro arm bushings look stock though (not offset). Since the arms are stock you'd see the offset in the bushing pretty easily.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I’ve got the whiteline lower control arms and it only added a little bit of caster to the car. But you honestly can’t even notice a difference in looks.
FD54EAB3-BEBD-4942-98BB-9D82848C9EB8.jpeg

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I just installed the RS3 LCAs last week. Things definitely feel a bit more direct through the steering wheel.

But, and a big one at that, I also installed Koni Yellow shocks/struts + H&R OE Sport springs + all new hardware/mounts, front sway bar, and Whiteline roll-center correction kit all at the same time.

So needless to say an absolute crap ton of changes all at once.