GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro Lower Control Arm Install/Review - Don't Need to drop Subframe for 6-Speed MANUAL

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Umbrella? Don't buy from them. They turn everyone into zombies. I left them a really bad Yelp review.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Just following up on this to report this maddening clunk that I've been chasing for over a year now was solved with new (warranty replacement) LCA's from Superpro.
Thanks to @Mosquito for encouraging me to reach out to Superpro on this as I figured my warranty had long expired due to my purchase date of Nov 2019.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Just following up on this to report this maddening clunk that I've been chasing for over a year now was solved with new (warranty replacement) LCA's from Superpro.
Thanks to @Mosquito for encouraging me to reach out to Superpro on this as I figured my warranty had long expired due to my purchase date of Nov 2019.
My right front did it after 6 track days and 10k miles, the bushing seperated, emailed them a picture, they sent me a set of arms under warranty, took 30min to swap it out, now I’ve got a spare left arm for if/when the left fails. Lifetime unlimited mileage warranty makes them seem like a no brainer..

Reactions: MSH

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
I run the Superpro Caster / Camber bush set with my Ohlins. They are a much cheaper solution and work well with zero clunks after 4 years use. Gives a much better turn in. Not as much camber as the LCA’s but good enough.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Digging this thread up. Running Superpro LCAs on my wagon for ~6mos/8K miles including 4 track days. Love theme handling improvements however, I have developed a noise on braking right before I stop. It feels like it's coming from the floor board under the driver's side. My car is sorted/no issues/been gone through by the shop that installed...thinking it's these duroball r. bushings. They visually look fine. Noise would be best described as a thud/groan and I can vary/control it with brake. My brakes are all fine as well. I have no noises that I can discern over bumps.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, update! I'm a dumbass!!!

A few weeks ago I was under my car inspecting it and noted some fluid on the d. side suspension. Ended up being DSG overflow through the vent b/c I probably had a bit over-filled last service I did. Anyhoo - tracked in Dec and got some spurtage. Used a can of brake clean under there and hit that l. side r. bushing with it. Well, probably blew out any lube on the lower portion and it was making noise under braking....I could feel it in the floor right above it. I just cleaned it up a bit and used a copious amount of silicone lube spray on it. Quiet again!

Navi

Autocross Champion
Digging this thread up. Running Superpro LCAs on my wagon for ~6mos/8K miles including 4 track days. Love theme handling improvements however, I have developed a noise on braking right before I stop. It feels like it's coming from the floor board under the driver's side. My car is sorted/no issues/been gone through by the shop that installed...thinking it's these duroball r. bushings. They visually look fine. Noise would be best described as a thud/groan and I can vary/control it with brake. My brakes are all fine as well. I have no noises that I can discern over bumps.
I was getting this with the superpro LCA. It was the bushings and those spacers that are part of the bushing. Someone else on here with a white Golf R was having the issue as well. We both went back to stock LCA and the sound/knocking/clonking went away.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was getting this with the superpro LCA. It was the bushings and those spacers that are part of the bushing. Someone else on here with a white Golf R was having the issue as well. We both went back to stock LCA and the sound/knocking/clonking went away.
I wish all these kind of things came with grease ports!

PublicEnemy

My couch pulls out.I dont
@Mosquito Thanks for chiming in
I bought mine back in Nov '19 but lagged on getting them in until April of last year. 6k miles on them. I'm sure I'm screwed on warranty. Copy on "assuming that it is your knocking issue" but I dont know whats left at this point.
@MSH - I delt with everything described in this post. It was harder for me to pinpoint since I installed all of the following in one fell swoop back in 2019.
1677422203408.png

After extensive troubleshooting. And I mean EXTENSIVE troubleshooting........ it was determined that the Superpro LCA's initial version (Maybe pre 2020?) had a bearing issue. Superpro eventually warrantied mine and the noise went away. Sounds like you are on the right track!

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
@MSH - I delt with everything described in this post. It was harder for me to pinpoint since I installed all of the following in one fell swoop back in 2019.
View attachment 274286

After extensive troubleshooting. And I mean EXTENSIVE troubleshooting........ it was determined that the Superpro LCA's initial version (Maybe pre 2020?) had a bearing issue. Superpro eventually warrantied mine and the noise went away. Sounds like you are on the right track!

Good to hear you got it sorted. Have to imagine there are others out there beating their head against the wall trying to figure it out

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok....1.5 years/18K miles/11 track days and the right side rear bushing has come loose from the metal bushing ring. Found it inspecting after the last track weekend a few weeks ago. No noises and seems to handle fine but glad I found it before the VIR event I'm attending in a few weeks! The shop I shad source/install these got Superpro to send 2 new Duroball bushings out stat as warranty replacements - one of the nice things about using a shop as the rep for the supplier they use can get things like this done quickly vs. me without drama. Car in shop today getting them installed. At full droop while jacked up it was nearly all the way out on the top side! I know this has happened to others - seems like a bonding issue with the poly to the metal ring that is pushed into the arm. Really like these arms so hope this sorts it...if not, I'll try the 034 version with rubber bushings and adjustable camber via ball joint slots.

20231109_083400.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion

kdub808

Ready to race!
Thank you all for adding info to this thread! I have been running these arms for 4 years now and for 4 years I have been dealing with a clunk I can't find driving me F🤬CKING CRAZY! Thanks to you guys I think I now know where the sound is coming from and maybe be able to sleep at night again.

Like @PublicEnemy, I did a ton of work ALL AT ONCE so I had no real way of tracking down the issue (Never do this). I did the Aluminum subframe upgrade, SP LCA's (less caster version), TyrolSport Dead-Set Kit, SP Sway Bar End Links, SP -1.4 degree camber strut mounts, SP Roll Control Ball joints, SP front and rear sway bars, and KW V2 coil-overs. I later replaced the strut mounts with 034 versions thinking that was the issue but it persisted. I also thought it could be loose Sway bar bolts but tightening them didn't change anything.

I'll try this solution and report back in a couple weeks with my experience.

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.30.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.31.22 PM.png

The Sway Bar is upside down here but I fixed it.
Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.31.45 PM.png

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
For the record, recently noticed the passenger side bushing separated as well. This is on the warrantied SP LCAs from 2020 - about 1-2 years of slowly increasing clunk noise and about 30K+ miles.

Been trying to inquire with SP about this, but haven't gotten any response over the last few weeks.

Attachments

• PXL_20240206_170320218.jpg
    PXL_20240206_170320218.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240206_170345337.jpg
    PXL_20240206_170345337.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 30

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For the record, recently noticed the passenger side bushing separated as well. This is on the warrantied SP LCAs from 2020 - about 1-2 years of slowly increasing clunk noise and about 30K+ miles.

Been trying to inquire with SP about this, but haven't gotten any response over the last few weeks.
My shop got it done quickly. They went through their supplier as they installed them.