GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro Lower Control Arm Install/Review - Don't Need to drop Subframe for 6-Speed MANUAL

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I doubt it is the 3 bolts. I too lean towards the rear bushing bolt. Both have been retorqued. You can feel the popping closer towards the center of the car and sometimes can feel it on the foot well.

There is no visible movement with the car raised or even loaded, but rolling there is definitely movement.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
^ I agree. I since removed them and sold 'em, and moved onto using just the bushings SuperPro provides. No issues or noises. I'll go about changing all the suspension bits with stiffer bushes vs spherical or other? These add a touch of extra caster at 0.5 degrees versus the 1 degree using the aluminum arms... and definitely not as pretty :(

IMG_0321.jpg

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
^ I agree. I since removed them and sold 'em, and moved onto using just the bushings SuperPro provides. No issues or noises. I'll go about changing all the suspension bits with stiffer bushes vs spherical or other? These add a touch of extra caster at 0.5 degrees versus the 1 degree using the aluminum arms... and definitely not as pretty :(

Thanks for posting.
I've been wondering about this exact scenario for some time. Whether their bushings onto the OEM arms are the same as their complete arm set and if not, if that would make the difference.
As I still have the OEM set, I thought about changing the bushings on those and trying the swap that way. How many miles have you been running this newer setup?

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
They're very different. The ones in the aluminum arms have holes around the diameter along with metal balls. The replacement ones in the OEM arms are solid with a metal post through it. I'm sure the ones in the SP LCA have more flexibility or play.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I think I have some SP LCA bushings to purchase and install on the OEM arms. The knocking of the SP control arms drives me nuts.
I spent $150 just trying to diagnose the problem and drove the entire winter very cautiously because I thought something was going to come loose any second.
FL winter if you can call it such a thing is the best part of the year as far as driving is concerned.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
@Navi @Mosquito Apologies for digging up a very old thread here but I have a clunk at slow speeds over rough roads and an occasional loud pop on aggressive driving in corners on roads that are a bit rough. I have Bilstein PSS10s/Eurosport Camber mounts/Tyrolsport deadset and the Superpro LCAs.Thought it may have been a slightly loose strut nut (or maybe a bad strut bearing) on the PSS10s but after pullling them, replacing the 034 strut bearings with OEM ones yesterday the clunk remains. Also just replaced the front endlinks with Whitelines. Noise is driving me insane. After doing a search and finding this thread it sounds like I may have found the answer here. Did you guys ever figure out the issue or just learned to live with the clunk?

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I got the SP LCAs warrantied and noise went away. That was at roughly 15K miles of use.

Two years later it is slowly creeping up again on the new set. Haven't kept track of mileage but I'd guess I am 15K+ and below 25K miles.

If you want it knock free. I'd do the bushings on the OEM arms (they are different) for caster but would likely require CSS knuckles for camber adjustment (which are more expensive).

This all assuming that is your knocking issue.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You guys are reinforcing my decision about these arms, haha. I had a set of the SuperPros ready to install then read about potential noise. I'm a "comfort guy" so noises are a no-go. But dammit they were beautiful!

I ended up going with WhiteLine arms instead. I don't know how they compare from a quality/longevity standpoint, but they have been problem and noise free through 15-20k. Plus I got the ones with more added caster (they have two part numbers) since my car is at stock height so rubbing risk is minimal.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I got the SP LCAs warrantied and noise went away. That was at roughly 15K miles of use.

Two years later it is slowly creeping up again on the new set. Haven't kept track of mileage but I'd guess I am 15K+ and below 25K miles.

If you want it knock free. I'd do the bushings on the OEM arms (they are different) for caster but would likely require CSS knuckles for camber adjustment (which are more expensive).

This all assuming that is your knocking issue.

You guys are reinforcing my decision about these arms, haha. I had a set of the SuperPros ready to install then read about potential noise. I'm a "comfort guy" so noises are a no-go. But dammit they were beautiful!

I ended up going with WhiteLine arms instead. I don't know how they compare from a quality/longevity standpoint, but they have been problem and noise free through 15-20k. Plus I got the ones with more added caster (they have two part numbers) since my car is at stock height so rubbing risk is minimal.
@Mosquito Thanks for chiming in
I bought mine back in Nov '19 but lagged on getting them in until April of last year. 6k miles on them. I'm sure I'm screwed on warranty. Copy on "assuming that it is your knocking issue" but I dont know whats left at this point.
Every bolt has been gone through torqued to spec. PSS10's have come back out, new strut bearings, and strut nut loc-tite to spec. New Whiteline end links. Shop has done the once over 2x now and they are one of the best VAG shops here in Denver. Its frustrating!
I'd do the stock arms but man I'm at -2 degrees camber with the Eurosports and the LCA's dont want to backtrack any more there. The CSS knuckles are out of control $ now.

@Cuzoe I guess thats an option...go with the Whitelines! I'll be super pissed off to go through the work though and not solve the clunk. I guess its do that and hope or just live with the noise for me.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea, Urotuning gave me hell trying to return the SuperPros... which had not been installed. Read about the noise while getting ready to install them. They did take them back though, and refunded me... I hadn't even cut the zipties that secure them in the box.

Reactions: MSH

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Last I heard Whiteline and Superpro are now made by the same people. Not sure that is accurate and also doesn't mean bushing designs are the same.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Last I heard Whiteline and Superpro are now made by the same people. Not sure that is accurate and also doesn't mean bushing designs are the same.
Thought it was just same Parent/Umbrella Co that owned them but still operating autonomously but could be wrong.