GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Superpro control arm install?

sutter2k

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the superpro control arms sitting in a box for 2 months. How is the install on jack stands?
Can I pretty much use the same instructions that ecs uses ? e.g. keep subframe on, just slide forward a little bit.

How bad will alignment be afterwards? Can I drive for a couple days or will it be so bar one would need to hobble along to the alignment shop?

Thanks,

Matt

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the install on a lift, but i do not believe you will need to remove the subframe. I used the ecs instructions. If you dont unbolt the subframe, the alignment likely wont change much, it will be fine to drive for a few days.

Btw these gave a very positive impact on handling, mainly steering feel. Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Proxima2

Ready to race!
Pretty simple procedure. Unbolt the three ball joint nuts then the two control arm bolts. I put my jack cups below the rotor for lift with a piece of rubber between the cup and rotor for protection.

Reverse to install. Be sure to put a load on that control arm (bring rotor to normal ride height using your jack) before torquing the control armbolts.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
You should try to get an alignment rather quickly, the addition of caster and some camber will throw your toe out

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Fairly easy, though keep in mind if you have the DSG you will need to drop the subframe by a bit to clear the transmission. Not a problem with the manual, and as others stated get an alignment asap after instillation.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I also installed the LCA's (white line but basically the same thing) and have a DSG. Since I knew i was going to drop the sub frame to do this I went ahead and did the FSW and a dead set kit at the same time.
I always thought those dead set kits are over priced for what they are, but I am really glad I did it, the alignment is now spot on and no worries of throwing off the alignment much if in the future if I need to drop it again for any reason.
My factory sub frame alignment was off quite a bit (caster was off by more than 1 degree left to right) and most shops won't take the time to try and adjust it so...
As others have said aligning the front toe afterwards is mandatory. Mine had over .5 degrees of toe out on each side. Don't get me wrong the car will drive great like that, in fact it made the turn in feel amazing. However I was planning to get it done right after but then didn't and had to drive like 1500 miles with it like that, the tire wear was ridiculous, wore down 2-3 mm of rubber and the tire pressure warning started going off. I was going to get new tires soon anyway so...

sutter2k

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone done the install with DSG, but didn't do drop the subframe? Just unbolting the pendulum mount and sliding the engine forward from the instructions -->

If your vehicle is equipped with a DSG or Tiptronic transmission, you will
need to unbolt the pendulum mount from the subframe and swing the
engine forward to remove the LH control arm bolt. This hardware is also
“Torque to Yield” hardware, and replacements can be found HERE.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Has anyone done the install with DSG, but didn't do drop the subframe? Just unbolting the pendulum mount and sliding the engine forward from the instructions -->

If your vehicle is equipped with a DSG or Tiptronic transmission, you will
need to unbolt the pendulum mount from the subframe and swing the
engine forward to remove the LH control arm bolt. This hardware is also
“Torque to Yield” hardware, and replacements can be found HERE.

Digging up old thread here to see if anyone with DSG had success with this method to avoid dropping subframe completely? I have had some Superpro LCA's sitting in garage for almost a year now and have put off installing, because dreading dropping subframe. For those of you that did have success any notable tips?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Manual transmission, but here's a DIY Installation video

Thanks Jake. This will be helpful for sure. Just wondering on anyone with a DSG if they did have success not removing subframe and getting that drivers side LCA bolt to clear. I'll be doing this on stands, so trying to avoid the dropping if at all possible. I could only find one vid with a guy doing LCA's on an R DSG (which is what I have) and he dropped the subframe. On ShopDAP's video there was some comments that seemed to indicate you could pry engine forward to get the bolt to clear, but at least one guy couldn't get it to clear.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jake. This will be helpful for sure. Just wondering on anyone with a DSG if they did have success not removing subframe and getting that drivers side LCA bolt to clear. I'll be doing this on stands, so trying to avoid the dropping if at all possible. I could only find one vid with a guy doing LCA's on an R DSG (which is what I have) and he dropped the subframe. On ShopDAP's video there was some comments that seemed to indicate you could pry engine forward to get the bolt to clear, but at least one guy couldn't get it to clear.

Which engine mounts you have would probably make a difference. OEM, maybe, but aftermarket no way since there's very little slop by comparison.

Sounds like a awesome way to justify buying a QuickJack! But in all seriousness dropping the subframe isn't a big deal.

Reactions: MSH

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion

It’s definitely possible to do without dropping the subframe. Now if you will be able to do it will solely depend on how strong you are/the type of leverage you can get prying from underneath with your car on jack stands.

Reactions: MSH