20221009_170607.jpg
20220809_191434.jpg

20220520_174012.jpg
20220520_175948.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
looks mint dude! i take it, it has been holding up pretty well so far?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

That_R4t3D_R_Chick

Car(s)
2016 MT Golf R
Appreciate it! I still have the car wrapped and there hasn't been any issues, I'm pretty pleased. I've gotten lots of compliments and people asking where I got it done, followed by surprise as I tell them I did it myself and it was my first time. Getting it off is going to be a pain in the ass though.
I was thinking about the removal as well. I wrapped my wing mirrors a few times before I was happy with the result and taking it off in between was a pain. I think I settled on a Toyota color, actually. Lunar Rock in satin by APA. It's a pressure adhesive film which I've never used before so it should be interesting!

I think I'll order it now, in fact! I'll be sure to post photos of my progress. 🤞

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
looks mint dude! i take it, it has been holding up pretty well so far?
It's been holding up great! Very durable and it's nice not having to worry as much about the paint.

the color reminds me of plastidip
I actually considered plastidip as well. From what I read, plastidip is easier to apply but (usually) looks worse unless you have paint-booth levels of control. Vinyl is harder to apply (steeper learning curve) but once you get the hang of it the end result is amazing.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Alright so I have decided to remove the wrap. Some places here and there were starting to look weird, like edges peeling or bunching between bumpers. I started with the spoiler and realized for one reason or another, the adhesive is delaminating from the vinyl.

1683179993674.png

1683180004726.png

I guess the good news is the vinyl is still stretchy and supple, not brittle. So at least everything peels in one go without chipping. But the adhesive left behind is a pain in the ass. It is pretty soft though and I am able to rub it into bunches with my fingers, but as you can imagine doing this to a whole car is just not gonna be an option. After a bunch of research I found this stuff on amazon called Orange Sol, It appears to be safe on autos as people have used it to remove vinyl and adhesive from RVs. I am going to try it on the spoiler and see what happens.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Oh wow, that's a bummer. Do you plan to re-wrap the car afterwards?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Buy bunches and bunches of clay bar -

Kudos on doing it yourself tho- car looked good

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Is that a defect in the vinyl itself?? That suuuuucks. You were SO cautious and did everything to a “T”…..

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Oh wow, that's a bummer. Do you plan to re-wrap the car afterwards?
I'm sure down the road I will end up wrapping it again, probably with a different brand this time. I'd like a similar style but in a nice green.

Buy bunches and bunches of clay bar -

Kudos on doing it yourself tho- car looked good
Appreciate it! It's gonna need some buffing for sure.

Is that a defect in the vinyl itself?? That suuuuucks. You were SO cautious and did everything to a “T”…..
From what I've read, this mainly happens if you overheat it while removing. I just had my car in the sun on a 68 ⁰F day so the vinyl was a nice healthy temp, so I'd say it's the fault of the vinyl.

The whole reason I started removing the vinyl was because I noticed the Maxxton spoiler was a bit loose, and when I pulled it off it started pulling off the vinyl with it. So I figured I'll pull off the spoiler vinyl and that's when I saw the mess. Honestly I'm glad it happened this way because the adhesive and vinyl are still very playable and soft. If I had left this on for another year or two it could be a whole different headache.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Appreciate it! It's gonna need some buffing for sure.
Depending on how often this comes up, and if the price seems justified, you could look into one of those adhesive/vinyl eraser wheel things. I've never tried one since I haven't worked in a large enough scale as a whole car wrap, but I've heard good things and they seem to review well. Looks like there are some cheaper knockoffs on Amazon as well.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhesive-Eraser-Wheel/dp/B005RNGN8I

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Depending on how often this comes up, and if the price seems justified, you could look into one of those adhesive/vinyl eraser wheel things. I've never tried one since I haven't worked in a large enough scale as a whole car wrap, but I've heard good things and they seem to review well. Looks like there are some cheaper knockoffs on Amazon as well.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhesive-Eraser-Wheel/dp/B005RNGN8I
I was actually looking at those and think that will be my worst case scenario. I'm not sure what state it will leave the clearcoat in, but I don't think it will be pretty. The vinyl adhesive is still soft and I can mush it around with my fingers, so I think if I can find an auto safe solvent/adhesive remover to soften up the adhesive and turn it into a gel I will be good to go.

PS: if anyone has more advice like this for removing vinyl please share. Tools, chemicals, techniques, whatever you guys got.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI