GOLFMKV

Super cheap OBD II Scanner/Reader

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
What's wrong with an ELM327 dongle that costs pennies from China and use the smartphone you already have?

That's an incredibly inflated price for such little functionality.

cb1111

What's wrong with an ELM327 dongle that costs pennies from China and use the smartphone you already have?

That's an incredibly inflated price for such little functionality.
Not much, but these devices have the advantage of being able to hand it to your son/daughter/in-law/neighbor/sibling and not worry if it comes back broken - or you never get it back.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Not much, but these devices have the advantage of being able to hand it to your son/daughter/in-law/neighbor/sibling and not worry if it comes back broken - or you never get it back.
Same applies to the above though, no?

I recently bought 5 ELM327 dongles that are iOS compatible for about the same price as this listing.

Each to their own, but this seems like spectacularly bad value imo.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
$12 with promo code to connect to a $42,000 car seems to be a good value to me. My wife and I went to Wendy's for lunch the other day and we paid $15 and no longer have the food as we "got rid of it" but, for $3 less we'd still have this cheap code reader!

I mean, don't you get what you pay for?
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1575

How cheap is "cheap"?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
$12 with promo code to connect to a $42,000 car seems to be a good value to me. My wife and I went to Wendy's for lunch the other day and we paid $15 and no longer have the food as we "got rid of it" but, for $3 less we'd still have this cheap code reader!

I mean, don't you get what you pay for?
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1575

How cheap is "cheap"?
It's not difficult to find decent ELM327 scanners. They're ubiquitous given the chip is the foundation of virtually every basic OBD2 scanner on the market, including the one in this thread.

Basic scanners are a false economy on a car like this anyway considering they'll only scan the engine and you've got at least 10 other modules that they can't scan....

cb1111

Right. So when my wife goes up to visit the kids and they say "I have this funny light". I give my wife the dongle and explain to them what software to download and so forth - or just give her this thing to give them.