GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sunroof won’t close

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
yea people now are too serious! anyways i found a diagram of the sunroof and saw where the motor is located and this morning gave it some pounding to wake it up and it worked! new technology problem, old school solution haha

Well that sounds diagnosed then. I love when you just have to beat on something to get it to work.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
yea people now are too serious! anyways i found a diagram of the sunroof and saw where the motor is located and this morning gave it some pounding to wake it up and it worked! new technology problem, old school solution haha

Hahah hilarious, reminds me of my 05 MINI, window motor would stick all the time and a good wack on the door panel and it came back to life, common problem on that those BMW motors

If you are under warranty still I would recommend that you have them change the motor because eventually it will stop working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed

I presume you have the panoramic roof?

If it is a motor problem, it may not stay fixed for long. There may be some excess drag / resistance in the system overworking the motor. Or a bad board in the controller that is part of the motor.

Open the roof and check the rails for debris or gunk. Clean and apply synthetic grease to lubricate the tracks and mechanisms. A Q-tip or popsicle stick can help make this easier.

While you're at it, use some compressed air to clean out the drains at each corner to prevent water buildup.

Suggest you take off the upper console to get to the motor, and in a pinch you should be able to use a hex key to turn it manually if it fails again. (There may even be a hex key in the glovebox.)

If you do replace the motor, you'll likely need to perform the initialization procedure. I found this video for an older Audi, but one use said it worked on his Mik7 Golf. They also mention that the gear on the motor (that engages with the cables) has teeth that break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MAAWfUpaA

also:
https://carmanuals2.com/get/volkswagen-golf-gti-2015-power-sunroof-35831

Last edited: