GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof 'exploded' today on 2016 GTI. That was fun.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
This has been going on for years. It's not rocks causing it. Think about it - how often is your roof hit by a rock? And in the extremely rare case that it is, how hard is that impact? The roof is a flat surface, unlike your windshield. A rock is just gonna skim over the top of it, unless it somehow falls vertically from above it, which just ain't gonna happen in any normal scenario.

Great news that insurance is covering it as glass coverage. Bummer that you have to wait so long for the replacement though. Do you have rental car coverage? Perhaps your insurance would cover that while you wait.
Based on the amount of grey spots I can see through my black paint.. fairly often :ROFLMAO: I'm very thankful for touch-up pens.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
This has been going on for years. It's not rocks causing it. Think about it - how often is your roof hit by a rock? And in the extremely rare case that it is, how hard is that impact? The roof is a flat surface, unlike your windshield. A rock is just gonna skim over the top of it, unless it somehow falls vertically from above it, which just ain't gonna happen in any normal scenario.

Great news that insurance is covering it as glass coverage. Bummer that you have to wait so long for the replacement though. Do you have rental car coverage? Perhaps your insurance would cover that while you wait.
My last car had a gnarly dent from a rock right in front of the sunroof

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
pano sunroofs breaking in summer heat happens all the time. similar thing happened to my mom's mercedes last year while she was cruising down the fwy, a somewhat common issue on those cars as well

the glass probably expanded in the heat and a bump in the road caused the chassis to flex enough in a way the glass obviously couldn't handle

with that said i love my sunroof and never worry about it breaking. if it does break i'll get it fixed, most likely for free, and then continue to enjoy it opened ~6months out of the year

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
I will report this to the NHTSA, just so it is there. Because my insurance is covering it, there is nothing I can gain from trying to shake VW's cage. The NHTSA report will do the trick there.

Hope they can do a good job 'wrapping' it tomorrow morning to hold me over, and really hope 3-5 weeks is more like 2-3 weeks.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
exploded.gif

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Thank the lord for MN’s $0 deductible glass coverage!

Where are you having it repaired?

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
Oh, I did not realize that was something special about MN.

Auto Glass Professionals in my town - suggested and used by our State Farm office and just doing that.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Oh, I did not realize that was something special about MN.

Auto Glass Professionals in my town - suggested and used by our State Farm office and just doing that.

It’s a state law that auto insurers must offer the coverage. IIRC it’s a default you have to opt out of. I pay $14/yr for each car and with the number of windshields I’ve replaced over the last 10+ years it’s paid for itself till 2068. 🤣

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
Wow, I did not know that, I thought I might have just opted into it.

I did have a windshield replaced (I think it would have been like $600), and the sunroof glass is $1200 MSRP ($1000 discounted) excluding the install. Yikes.

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
Update, but OMFG...

The glass was installed last week, after a month. Took 3 hours (they had issues, glass worked itself into the rails), but it is in, waterproof, everything seems to work fine.

Bad news is the headliner was full of glass, and the glass shop does not have the skills to do that, so got referred to a body shop they use. Took the car to the body shop at 8AM, got a loaner car, got a call at about 2PM and they said...there is a VW-specific tool needed to pull the grab handles and sun visors, they don't have it, they have ordered it, and I can come back once they get it. That was 100 miles and 2 hours wasted making two round trips for that. I do appreciate them being open and honest and apologizing.

So, maybe next week, week after I can get it finally done?

Insane, what a PITA..

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
This is further reinforcing my want for some company to make a carbon fiber roof panel to replace the glass. Won't shatter, looks cool, drops weight from the roof, and would block all sunlight when closed. How much more could it cost than the $1000 piece of glass? Maybe I should contact APR, they love to make CF crap.
I don't have a sunroof but I'd love a CF roof option.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW