GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Summer Performance Tires in MN

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Curious what owners in the upper Great Lakes region are running for Spring, Summer, Fall?

I'd LOVE to replace the OEM tires with some high performance summer tires, but feeling like I need to stick with all season uhp for those dreaded transition months of March, April – Nov and Dec.

Any advice?

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Michelin A/S 3+ tires. For an all season tire their overall performance is pretty decent.

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
I've got ContiSportContact summer tires and Blizzak winter tires. I've used this combo for over a decade on various cars. I had a set of Pilot Sports, summer only, on one car for a few years and those were great, too.

In Minneapolis, my winters go on Nov 1st give or take a week and my summers go on May 1st give or take a week.

Summer tires are the best in summer. Winter tires are the best in winter. I think winter tires are as good as all seasons in the shoulder seasons with the only caveat for winters being potentially more wear due to high temps.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Michelin A/S 3+ for the unfrozen months. They are not proper summer tires, but considering the amount of rain we are getting and projected to get in the future, You need the ability to move water too. I had these on my G37, and they held very well under that far girl.

winters, just grab a set of proper snows.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Michelin A/S 3+ for the unfrozen months. They are not proper summer tires, but considering the amount of rain we are getting and projected to get in the future, You need the ability to move water too. I had these on my G37, and they held very well under that far girl.

winters, just grab a set of proper snows.

I've got a set of proper snows. Too cheapskate to toss away the OE Pirelli's with so much tread left on them.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I've got a set of proper snows. Too cheapskate to toss away the OE Pirelli's with so much tread left on them.

Agreed, and after 15mo of ownership on the Rabbit I just clicked 4300mi... those stockers are going to be with us for years!

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Agreed, and after 15mo of ownership on the Rabbit I just clicked 4300mi... those stockers are going to be with us for years!

Damn modern treadwear technology! LOL

Maybe if I thrash them around a bit more...

But I'm excited to see... someday... how much better tires improve the driving dynamics.

Can't say it's terrible even now. But I'm ignorant. I've got nothing to compare it with.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Pull the spare. Back gets a bit looser :)