Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
1637539753065.png

LMZ

Car(s)
2016 golf trendline
First of all, they don't weigh 23lbs.

I can't remember exactly but I think they were closer to 19 or 20lbs.

2nd. Alternate weight savings

1) take out the passenger and rear seats
2) take out the spare
3) take a dump
They are very heavy go weigh them yourself if you don't believe me

LMZ

Car(s)
2016 golf trendline
I'll 100% do it in a year or so when I need new tires again. I'll do new wheels and tires and chop these ones with the winter all weather tires when they are near replacement.

Also I think a 15inch wheel like these would be the safest ones to try this on since the tire itself offers alot more bump protection than on a nicer wheels or the bigger stock ones

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'll 100% do it in a year or so when I need new tires again. I'll do new wheels and tires and chop these ones with the winter all weather tires when they are near replacement.

Also I think a 15inch wheel like these would be the safest ones to try this on since the tire itself offers alot more bump protection than on a nicer wheels or the bigger stock ones
A bigger tire won't help you at all when the wheel collapses. 😂

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
No. These are bluetooth wheels

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Why would I try to sue VW yall think im super dumb its just a fun idea jeez lol I was thinking I could put strain gauges on it to test loading but I dont know exactly what alloy they are using. but I imagine they have a high safety factor in their stress and strain calculations thus why the wheel is so heavy.
This post didn’t help your case or change our perspective 😂😂

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I almost don't know if I should help out because this thread is such a meme, but just so at minimum maybe I can save you a few hundred dollars and at maximum I can save several lives, I am a Mechanical Engineer, here is the list of things you are not taking into account:

- Safety factor exists for a reason, especially for items that are actually safety related. It's okay to push safety factors with things like making power in an engine, but with the thing keeping you on the road that is very different. You will encounter situations engineers have not accounted for, that is how people can bend or break even factory wheels.

- Safety factor is calculated using the structure as a whole. Removing certain members that may not be under very large load could potentially induce extremely high loads in other parts of the system, everything is interconnected and there for a reason.

- The wheel balance will be fucked, beyond what you're even imagining. They will be so far out of balance it will be unrecoverable.

- No shop would ever agree to touch those wheels or mount tires on them ever again, it's WAY too much of a liability for them.

- You will be held EXTREMELY liable when the wheel breaks off and injures someone, possibly criminally with how much neglect this is.

- The cost to do something like this "properly", if that term even is appropriate in the vague vicinity of this thread, i.e. sand it, paint/coat it, etc... would be much more than to just buy a good set of wheels used. And then you would still be left with an unsafe set of wheels.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I almost don't know if I should help out because this thread is such a meme, but just so at minimum maybe I can save you a few hundred dollars and at maximum I can save several lives, I am a Mechanical Engineer, here is the list of things you are not taking into account:

- Safety factor exists for a reason, especially for items that are actually safety related. It's okay to push safety factors with things like making power in an engine, but with the thing keeping you on the road that is very different. You will encounter situations engineers have not accounted for, that is how people can bend or break even factory wheels.

- Safety factor is calculated using the structure as a whole. Removing certain members that may not be under very large load could potentially induce extremely high loads in other parts of the system, everything is interconnected and there for a reason.

- The wheel balance will be fucked, beyond what you're even imagining. They will be so far out of balance it will be unrecoverable.

- No shop would ever agree to touch those wheels or mount tires on them ever again, it's WAY too much of a liability for them.

- You will be held EXTREMELY liable when the wheel breaks off and injures someone, possibly criminally with how much neglect this is.

- The cost to do something like this "properly", if that term even is appropriate in the vague vicinity of this thread, i.e. sand it, paint/coat it, etc... would be much more than to just buy a good set of wheels used. And then you would still be left with an unsafe set of wheels.
You won't reach him with science, common sense or anything else. At this point we want him to cut the spokes asap.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn

We must never, NEVER reply in earnest to threads of this calibre.

It is known.