GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suicide or light wheel hack?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
If you cut the fat spokes instead, you would save even more weight.

wb.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
First of all, they don't weigh 23lbs.

I can't remember exactly but I think they were closer to 19 or 20lbs.

2nd. Alternate weight savings

1) take out the passenger and rear seats
2) take out the spare
3) take a dump

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
View attachment 231078
Ok so the stock alloy 15 inch wheels are super heavy for the size as I've discussed before like 23 pounds I believe. So what if I cut the extra 5 small spokes lol. Then I dont have to spend 330$ CAD per wheel for neuspeeds etc to have a light 5 spoke wheel.

Thoughts?
Sorry but this is about the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. Are you a wheel designer? If not I would leave it alone or if you do it and when the wheels fail and cause you to be injured then only blame yourself and don't try to sue VW!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Take the Rotors off, you would save much more weight then.

No no no. You leave on the rotors and take off the calipers. It's all the rage with Jettas.

IMG_1916-1024x837.jpg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Imagine if Rabbis shared the same thought pattern as this dude. The amount of dickless dudes we'd have walking around...

Astounding. Easily one of the stupidest things I've heard all my life.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I say do it. I drill holes in everything. My frame, flywheel, serpentine belt, battery, oil pan...There's free weight savings everywhere you look.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I say do it. I drill holes in everything. My frame, flywheel, serpentine belt, battery, oil pan...There's free weight savings everywhere you look.

1637520537299.jpg

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Hoping the OP was just trolling as this could be one of the greatest automotive shitposts of all time!

LMZ

Car(s)
2016 golf trendline
Sorry but this is about the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. Are you a wheel designer? If not I would leave it alone or if you do it and when the wheels fail and cause you to be injured then only blame yourself and don't try to sue VW!
Why would I try to sue VW yall think im super dumb its just a fun idea jeez lol I was thinking I could put strain gauges on it to test loading but I dont know exactly what alloy they are using. but I imagine they have a high safety factor in their stress and strain calculations thus why the wheel is so heavy.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why would I try to sue VW yall think im super dumb its just a fun idea jeez lol I was thinking I could put strain gauges on it to test loading but I dont know exactly what alloy they are using. but I imagine they have a high safety factor in their stress and strain calculations thus why the wheel is so heavy.
Hurry up and cut those spokes please.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Because that is what people do when they do something stupid and then it fails and they get injured, they find somebody to sue. Why would you even think that is remotely possible? As you said, you do not know the alloy used or the design calculations for the wheel or the safety factor, but go ahead and try it if you are up to it!