Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Bummed it didnt happen tbh

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Don't listen to all these negative Nancy's and nay sayers in this thread. They're only here to yuck your yum.

I think it's a great idea to cut spokes out of a wheel. VW engineers definently only have those there for design and to just add extra weight, probably. You know better than the engineering team of the largest car manufacturer on the planet and we ,as a collective forum, believe in you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The OP hasn't been in the thread or forum since November 21st the day after he posted the thread.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The OP hasn't been in the thread or forum since November 21st the day after he posted the thread.

Probably tried his weight savings hack and for some unknown reason hasn't been around to post again 🤣

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
This was just a meme thread stolen from another similar thread where someone asked the same question but with Subaru wheels instead. I would give the OP shit for being unoriginal but it's always fun to jump into threads like this and see where the conversation goes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This was just a meme thread stolen from another similar thread where someone asked the same question but with Subaru wheels instead. I would give the OP shit for being unoriginal but it's always fun to jump into threads like this and see where the conversation goes.
The OP sure didn't stick around to see where the conversation went.

LMZ

Car(s)
2016 golf trendline
I almost don't know if I should help out because this thread is such a meme, but just so at minimum maybe I can save you a few hundred dollars and at maximum I can save several lives, I am a Mechanical Engineer, here is the list of things you are not taking into account:

- Safety factor exists for a reason, especially for items that are actually safety related. It's okay to push safety factors with things like making power in an engine, but with the thing keeping you on the road that is very different. You will encounter situations engineers have not accounted for, that is how people can bend or break even factory wheels.

- Safety factor is calculated using the structure as a whole. Removing certain members that may not be under very large load could potentially induce extremely high loads in other parts of the system, everything is interconnected and there for a reason.

- The wheel balance will be fucked, beyond what you're even imagining. They will be so far out of balance it will be unrecoverable.

- No shop would ever agree to touch those wheels or mount tires on them ever again, it's WAY too much of a liability for them.

- You will be held EXTREMELY liable when the wheel breaks off and injures someone, possibly criminally with how much neglect this is.

- The cost to do something like this "properly", if that term even is appropriate in the vague vicinity of this thread, i.e. sand it, paint/coat it, etc... would be much more than to just buy a good set of wheels used. And then you would still be left with an unsafe set of wheels.
woosh

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
What kind of Hillbilly fucking idea is this? If you're gonna do it, might as well get smaller tires while you're at it. Try stretching some bike tires on there.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate