GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suggestions on GTI Build Plan

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Hey y'all. I'm pretty new here, but I've been lurking and reading for a while. I've had my 2017 GTI for about a year now and I'm looking for some suggestions/discussion around my build plans.

I come from the Honda world, and really wanted a Type-R, but it just wasn't feasible with the prices they sell for and when I needed a car, plus I've always like GTIs. My goal is to build something akin to a Clubsport/CSS with Stage 1/Stage 2 power and a significantly improved suspension mostly for canyons/backroads with an occasional autoX day. My car is an Autobahn DSG w/ PP and DCC. It's my daily.

Here's my current mods:

034 Upper and lower dogbone inserts.
Eurocode front and rear strut bars
ECS Trailing Arm braces
Frankenstein'd 3" Rev9 exhaust with Borla muffler.
Aerofab rear spoiler

And here's what I'd like to do:

Suspension
  • 22mm Whiteline RSB
  • 24mm Whiteline FSB
  • Whiteline Front Control Arm Bushings (+0.5° caster)
  • Superpro trailing arm bushings
  • Racingline Subframe Locking Collars (front and rear subframes)
  • *Possibly a lowering spring that doesn't lower too much and is DCC friendly. I would do new upper mounts, bearings, and the Eurosport camber kit at the same time if I did this.
Engine/Trans
  • APR Stage 1 (low torque) or EQT Stage 1. (Haven't decided)
  • DSG tune (from the tuner I go with)
  • Stock air box with 034 TIP, hose, and filter. Snow guard removed. ECS plastic air inlet duct.
  • BMS intercooler (Is it worth it to spend more on a better one like IE or AMS?)
  • BFI stage 1 engine/trans mounts
  • *Possibly a MAPerformance GESI downpipe (I live in a state with emissions testing)
Brakes
  • StockRotors
  • EBC Red Stuff pads front/rear
  • Neuspeed Stainless Steel lines
  • Motul DOT5.1 Fluid
  • *Possibly RS3 Brake Ducts (Are they worth if not tracking?)

Cosmetic
  • Aerofab front splitter
  • Aerofab rear diffuser
Wheels/Tires
  • 18x8.5" flow formed wheels
  • 235 width "stickier" tires
Any advice for additions or things I should do differently? Thanks in advance. It seems like a pretty cool community so far. 😎

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would go with EQT for tuning. I would also drive the car after you install the RSB and then decide if you still want to add the FSB. Since you live in Vegas I would hook up with @El_bigote_AJ if he doesn't mind because he probably has the most customized GTI around.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Your plan looks extremely well thought out and I think your making a lot of great decisions.

I’m running just the rear saw bar and don’t feel the need to do the front.

Another vote for EQT here, they have been great.

Also running the AMS intercooler and an intercooler makes a big difference. Have not seen bad data on any intercooler yet, so go with what you want. I would though suggest a direct mount vs front.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I would go with EQT for tuning. I would also drive the car after you install the RSB and then decide if you still want to add the FSB. Since you live in Vegas I would hook up with @El_bigote_AJ if he doesn't mind because he probably has the most customized GTI around.
Yup I never mind! I let @BadHombre760 drive the car a few weeks ago cause he was about to make a clutch decision and I knew getting to drive one would be a big plus... for the OPs efforts my car is so modified it’s probably gonna be hard to figure out what’s said mod feels like 😂😂

But hombre can tell ya how my car with all suspension feels driving.... as he’s was driving already for a couple min and didn’t know I even had airride till he asked what the controller showing the PSI was for 😂

Also as said before.... stage 1 apr vs eqt should not even be a question. Lol.

Also - I have a front sway bar also and love the way the car feels much more than when I Just had the rear bar.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Thanks for the feedback. Can't take too much credit, most of this stuff comes from information gathered on this forum, and only some from my own experience mod'ing cars.

This forum just loves EQT don't they? 😂 I was basically sold on EQT, but then APR lowered their prices. What still draws me to APR is that they're proven. There's some guys running Stage 1 and 2 APR tunes for 60-70k miles on their cars with basically no problems. Ed seems like a great tuner, but certain things need the test of time to reveal problems. Also, I like the power curve of the APR low torque tune better. It builds more linearly until it flattens out at the top, where as EQT is way more flat across the RPM band. APR's curve isn't as fast, but may be more exciting to rev out. Remember I come from Hondas, high end power is in my blood. Lol

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have an apr stage 1 mk6 in my driveway I’m not saying they suck, but an eqt stage 1 will feel faster and be faster even up top. While I understand the tested sentiment with proven longevity...if you understand what actually is being adjusted with these flash tunes and if you are paying attention to what’s going on with the car via your AP (cant really monitor with apr) a eqt tune is safer in my eyes. Since on apr you just cross your fingers all is well... also while there are many scenarios that play a part in tuned cars that go pop, I’d be willing to bet that apr tuned cars have a higher percentage based on sales of damaged cars (doubtfully either tunes fault though)

Btw - I’m not eqt tuned at all I’m on a custom map from Sneekytuned with a hybrid turbo, I have eaten type R's alive... especially on the top end 😂

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for the feedback. Can't take too much credit, most of this stuff comes from information gathered on this forum, and only some from my own experience mod'ing cars.

This forum just loves EQT don't they? 😂 I was basically sold on EQT, but then APR lowered their prices. What still draws me to APR is that they're proven. There's some guys running Stage 1 and 2 APR tunes for 60-70k miles on their cars with basically no problems. Ed seems like a great tuner, but certain things need the test of time to reveal problems. Also, I like the power curve of the APR low torque tune better. It builds more linearly until it flattens out at the top, where as EQT is way more flat across the RPM band. APR's curve isn't as fast, but may be more exciting to rev out. Remember I come from Hondas, high end power is on my blood. Lol
113,000 miles now. EQT remote dyno tune. 416 HP and 428 torque.
Not all the miles were on the EQT tune though. But EQT is very well proven.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

This forum just loves EQT don't they? 😂 I was basically sold on EQT, but then APR lowered their prices. What still draws me to APR is that they're proven. There's some guys running Stage 1 and 2 APR tunes for 60-70k miles on their cars with basically no problems. Ed seems like a great tuner, but certain things need the test of time to reveal problems. Also, I like the power curve of the APR low torque tune better. It builds more linearly until it flattens out at the top, where as EQT is way more flat across the RPM band. APR's curve isn't as fast, but may be more exciting to rev out. Remember I come from Hondas, high end power is in my blood. Lol

If you want top end power and a pull till redline consider dropping the IS20.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Another vote for Cobb AP w/EQT tune. I'm not familiar with those anti roll bars, but I'm adding the front bar after just installing the Neuspeed 25mm rear on my GTI. Too big a difference in front & rear roll resistance with just the rear bar for me.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Well, it seems that EQT is the way to go then; some of you had more miles on it than I thought. They are slightly more expensive, but sounds like it's worth it. Tuning will probably be one of the later things I do, because of the warranty. I've had some problems with the car and I'm happy I had a warranty and VW's goodwill to help cover it. 😅

If you want top end power and a pull till redline consider dropping the IS20.
Oh, I've kicked around the idea of an IS38 upgrade for a while. A couple things that hold me back are that I don't think 350whp and fwd are the best combo, and the reliability factor that comes with such a power increase over stock. How would that work with EQT; I'd have to do a custom tune once I went IS38?

Another vote for Cobb AP w/EQT tune. I'm not familiar with those anti roll bars, but I'm adding the front bar after just installing the Neuspeed 25mm rear on my GTI. Too big a difference in front & rear roll resistance with just the rear bar for me.
Good to know. Most of the swaybars for this platform seem like too large of an increase in stiffness to not also run a stiffer front bar, imo. It's why I settled with Whiteline. I'm familiar with them and they make good products, but their bars are also closer to stock sizes, but solid instead of hollow. Depending how you set it, they're between 25-60% stiffer, and I think that's enough. The CSS doesn't have super stiff sway bars compared to a stock GTI. Any real life experiences are welcome though.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Oh, I've kicked around the idea of an IS38 upgrade for a while. A couple things that hold me back are that I don't think 350whp and fwd are the best combo, and the reliability factor that comes with such a power increase over stock. How would that work with EQT; I'd have to do a custom tune once I went IS38?

You would need a custom tune for EQT for a GTI on IS38. Remember thats the Golf R turbo which has the same block and very little difference internally as your GTI. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/gti-vs-r-engine-differences.317206/ Its an extremely common upgrade. Personally im happy with my IS20 but dont feel this engine cant handle an IS38