GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden Perfume Smell

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Crazy...interested in seeing what they find. I remember in the mk4 days there were a decent number of them that smelled like crayons, I think because of the glue they use on the carpet if I remember right, and the smell was stronger on warmer days.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Go find another new VW on the lot pop the hood and shove your face into the coolant reservoir. G13 smells way different than any other coolant I have ever smelled, it's similar almost to BMW blue coolant but not quite.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Al
Go find another new VW on the lot pop the hood and shove your face into the coolant reservoir. G13 smells way different than any other coolant I have ever smelled, it's similar almost to BMW blue coolant but not quite.
Also, get a bottle of VW screenwash concentrate and check if that smells similar.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
or just use the window spray it came with.

although the window spray does have a real aroma it doesn't last

some kind of prank? perfume in the cowl vent?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

I'll certainly pop out and do that today. (y)

Forgot to mention that the A/C was on. It was 75 out; the warmest day since it showed up.

I should hope the fellow behind the service desk would have identified a coolant smell, but I don't remember if he was in a position that would warrant the familiarity. Then again, I should hope I'd identify one, as well.

At first I thought I might have sucked up a vape cartridge, but when looking at the intake, it wouldn't have made it into the system; seems pretty well-designed to prevent that sort of thing. I don't even see an easy way for something to get in the engine bay, let alone the climate control intake.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
aneurysm
rip

That's actually good advice. :ROFLMAO:

Fair bit of brain damage lately, and nobody's quite sure what sort of effects I'm going to encounter over time. That's why I wanted someone else to smell it immediately, and even called someone to come meet me out there before I decided to leave it at the dealership. I had to make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting something obvious, and that the smell did in fact exist.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
or just use the window spray it came with.

although the window spray does have a real aroma it doesn't last

some kind of prank? perfume in the cowl vent?

Nobody could have got me at that time. I hadn't left the vehicle yet, and I'd been in it for an hour driving around town; though now that you've got me thinking... I may have caught a whiff of it about a half hour earlier, but written it off as smelling someone vaping in a minivan in front of me on the road. Around here, you can smell that crap at 55mph. That went away, though; or at least it went away long enough for it to smell like a new car for a while again.

The only thing I can imagine in that regard would be a delayed release of some variety; perhaps a vindictive jab by the problematic transport company.

That guy's not smart enough to delay a prank for three weeks, though. I could, you could; quite a few here probably could...

He can't set up a delayed perfume bomb, though. Doesn't have the mental horsepower to pull it off, and he's the only one that would have done it.

I used the windscreen washers once a couple of weeks ago, and while it was different than I'm used to, it was still identifiable as washer fluid.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Well, the dealership had some people go out and check, and they don't think they can sort it without taking the ducts and all apart. They've no idea at this time where the smell is coming from.

What I'm going to do is install that Frescious filter I just bought after running it for a while with no filter (in case something got on the stock filter), try about fifteen minutes of ozone (do NOT run that stuff long; it eats polymers) and see if that helps. That will remove some diagnostic issues. If I can't get it gone I'll have to let them take it apart; but they told me it would be a good idea to call Volkswagen directly, tell them where I bought it, and see about... Whatever he told me to ask. I forgot, but I'll ask again when I get down there.

This car is dead to me if that smell doesn't disappear completely. I will not drive it, nor will I own it. It smells like it's worth about $200 now. As of this time, so far as my mind is concerned, it no longer feels like my car.

I feel like I've borrowed it; not bought it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Your girl sprayed perfume in the vent so you'd remember her ? but seriously, get Nextzett Klima-Cleaner and replace your air cabin with a charcoal version.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Funny stuff, my son who is in a wheelchair puts Liquid Ass on the door handles of people who park in handicap spots or park next to his van blocking deployment of his ramp. Believe me, you don’t want that on your hands or steering wheel!!!!!

Oh, that's a good one. I've always preferred a harmonica zip tied to an axle or A arm.

If you don't think that's annoying, just buy a cheap one and hang it out the window at 55mph. It's like all the tortured souls in hell screaming in unison... And when you slow down, it changes. When you stop, it's gone. :cool: