GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Awesome write up, because I've used them before I sourced the connector and wires from e-acca for a total of $17.33 USD delivered, so if you're not in a hurry I'd recommend it if you want to save a few bucks.

Schpadoinkle

Awesome write up, because I've used them before I sourced the connector and wires from e-acca for a total of $17.33 USD delivered, so if you're not in a hurry I'd recommend it if you want to save a few bucks.

Do you have a link for the connector you used? It’s not the easiest to navigate e-acca [emoji23] thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
3/4" mdf is cheap and heavy - I hate it. Quality 1/2" plywood (not the crap from Lowes) is much nicer to work with, and an enclosure can be made that's substantially lighter. You can make up for the reduced thickness with internal bracing.

Think about sonotube extending down into the spare tire well for added volume. It's just large diameter cardboard tube used for concrete foundation forms. The round shape, however, gives it adequate stiffness.

Sonotube + 1/2" plywood probably wont be as stiff as a 3/4" MDF, but it would be a fair compromise to get the weight down and would work fine for a reasonably sane subwoofer stuffed in the spare tire area.

I hate MDF too, try MDO - the surface is just like MDF, but it's Medium Density Overlay, much lighter.
A sheet of 3/4 MDF = 99 lbs, a sheet of 3/4 MDO = 55 lbs (some can be 69 lbs, but still way lighter).

SVO

Rather than Sonotube I ended up with a 5- gallon bucket. Very strong around the sides in expansion mode from air pressure, but top and bottom must be made quite strong. I use my GTI to haul big and heavy stuff on occasion so reinforcing the cargo panel was a side objective. Birch plywood panel, bucket height to match correct volume, puck on bottom with precise height so that about half the weight of the whole assembly is carried by the bucket, putting the bottom panel in constant tension, making it much more resistant to expanding than it otherwise would be (has to lift that weight to grow in volume appreciably). Black carpet is reinforced with heavy nylon mesh so it won't sag into bore holes. Felt furniture slider on puck to eliminate rattles. Guitar amp pocket handle on panel. Parts express driver. Response is nice and tight and the whole thing pops out in 20 seconds. I'm an old school SQ guy, not SPL, so this is a good solution for me.

In case others could benefit...

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0366.jpeg
    IMG_0366.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
Maybe to revive this thread, after a looooong time.

I was able to get my original DIY subwoofer out of my 2018 R when I sold it a month ago.

I got a new Golf R 2022 MK8 and I just want to confirm that I was able to install the system in place of the Harman Kardon subwoofer (very similar with Fender subwoofer).

More details on this thread:

Harman Kardon subwoofer replaced with 12in custom

I still don't get it why VW keeps that piece of plastic with a 6in as subwoofer, but I'm happy they kept the (almost) same connector and I have a subwoofer signal that I can connect to ;)