GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
oh dang a 12", what's the factory fender amps subwoofer output wattage and ohms? did you find a sub that will work with it?
I'm not sure what the peak output is from the factory amp, but I did measure the impedance of the factory fender sub in my car at 2 ohms on each coil.

I got a 4 ohm DVC Rockford fosgate for the box. No issues from a sound quality or output perspective. It hits much harder and louder than the stock sub did.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
oh dang a 12", what's the factory fender amps subwoofer output wattage and ohms? did you find a sub that will work with it?

No one knows. It has proven to be able to drive this 12" though. Only downside is Fender limits output as volume increases (probably to stop puny fender sub from blowing) so as you crank it it won't keep going with the other speakers. So if you plan to compete with bass heads you'll lose.

This is the sub:

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r2sd2-12/

It wants 0.9 cubic feet thus the need for polyfill.

Chumley99

I got the RF 12" sub and built my own box. 24"x 24"x 4" using 1/2" MDF creates internal volume fractionally over the .9 cf requirement, fits below the tray and the sub fits flush with no spacer or ring. $3.89 x 3 for the wood, a few bucks for carpet and spray glue + the sub = <$100. I ordered the oem connectors from ECS - the only part that was stupid $$. I think it was $30 for the connector and pre-pinned wires!

As many others have said it REALLY makes a difference. Surprisingly, while it runs out of steam at higher volume, the fill at low volume is remarkable and at reasonable listening levels it works well. Actually shocking considering it's just the stock amp.

Did sound deadening on the hatch and under the rear seats too...

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I got the RF 12" sub and built my own box. 24"x 24"x 4" using 1/2" MDF creates internal volume fractionally over the .9 cf requirement, fits below the tray and the sub fits flush with no spacer or ring. $3.89 x 3 for the wood, a few bucks for carpet and spray glue + the sub = <$100. I ordered the oem connectors from ECS - the only part that was stupid $$. I think it was $30 for the connector and pre-pinned wires!

As many others have said it REALLY makes a difference. Surprisingly, while it runs out of steam at higher volume, the fill at low volume is remarkable and at reasonable listening levels it works well. Actually shocking considering it's just the stock amp.

Did sound deadening on the hatch and under the rear seats too...

Yeah the OEM connector and wires are stupid expensive. I think I'm just going to cut the connector off and wire it right in. You can see the wire bundle there in the pic, plenty of slack. I can put the second terminal right there next to the first and I won't have to extend anything.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I put this in my car within the first 3 days of owning the car, haha.

I love bass in all my cars and have always had the systems that were excessive f-body trans am had 4 10s with 2 1200 watt amps, a capacitor and a deep cycle battery in the trunk! even the ex wifes cars would get small 10" or a 8". My mk6 gli has the fender set up so i just delt with that but always wanted more boom. But with this rabbit version you can only get the trash stereo so this was a must for me, and I'm beyond surprised with the loud and clean (for a 12") this puts out! i added sound deadener in the whole cavity as wheel which help a lot as well.

also you can use this with or without the spare in place and it fits under the false floor so you loose no space. I was skeptical at first as well due to not having the box volume but its legit surreal how much bass this put out... its at the "punk kid" levels for sure and shake the mirrors with easy and that with the bass booster less than 1/2 ways up.

https://cerwinvegamobile.com/produc...ures/12-active-subwoofer-enclosures/vpas12st/
Looks like a great option. Can you describe or speak to the complexity of install?

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
It's in. It sounds ok but I think I need to mess with settings some more.

Listen to Oh Mama by Run The Jewels. I did a back to back with that track between the fender and the RF in the box from AK. So much difference, I stopped messing with the sub-bass-mid-treb settings and just listened.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Looks like a great option. Can you describe or speak to the complexity of install?

Removed the head unite and tapped the signal of both rear door speakers to get the signal to the powered amp (that doubles as the remote turn on for the amp as well.

Ran that under the dash to the passenger side of the car - had to unclip
The door sill panels to route the wire, as well as unclip the rear seat cushions (only the bottom.

Then at the driver side I ran the fused power cable down the same path and through the grommet right above the clutch pedal and on a terminal to the battery.

Grounded the amp to one of the rear seat belt lower studs and then just hooked to all up to the amp, the kit comes with a perfect fit adapter (made for VW/audi group) to replace the stud that holds just the tire down so that now it will hold sub secure to the car and sandwich the spare.

Oh also I ran the remote bass controller to the glove box to keep it hidden.

The system is 100% hidden and I got to keep the spare for a piece of mind, and this think pack a real punch mirror shaking with ease.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
Apparently I'm not as patient as you chaps. I tapped into the stock Fender sub output lead from the stock amp. That signal goes into an LC7i, then to an external mono amp, and on to 2 10s. The funny thing is I really don't need 2 10s now, because I never removed the stock sub, so technically I have 3 subs running at all times, but the best part is being able to control the overall level from the head unit.

The stock output of the Fender low end is just not at all what you'd expect from a premium sound system that has a billion speakers. But it is what you'd expect after seeing the weird concoction that is the spare-tire sub, itself.

My setup essentially sacrifices the entire trunk for my daily driving, but still affords me the shitty stock sub in the event that I need to disconnect my external subs+box for trunk usage. In a weird way, I actually can't wait until I'm too old to enjoy chest-thumping bass.

Schpadoinkle

Apparently I'm not as patient as you chaps. I tapped into the stock Fender sub output lead from the stock amp. That signal goes into an LC7i, then to an external mono amp, and on to 2 10s. The funny thing is I really don't need 2 10s now, because I never removed the stock sub, so technically I have 3 subs running at all times, but the best part is being able to control the overall level from the head unit.

The stock output of the Fender low end is just not at all what you'd expect from a premium sound system that has a billion speakers. But it is what you'd expect after seeing the weird concoction that is the spare-tire sub, itself.

My setup essentially sacrifices the entire trunk for my daily driving, but still affords me the shitty stock sub in the event that I need to disconnect my external subs+box for trunk usage. In a weird way, I actually can't wait until I'm too old to enjoy chest-thumping bass.

By any chance could you tell me the part# on the male connector on the end of the in car wiring harness? I still haven’t been able to find it yet :( i have the connector part number for the actual sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk