GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

chid

Ready to race!
Scott,

Thanks for replying!! I’m actually trying to do the opposite. I have the OEM sub and am adding an amp to use that sub. Because I’m going this route I am looking all over to find the male connector to the sub. I know that’s kinda weird, but I got the OEM sub for free from my friend that works at a scrap yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you trying to use a Fender subwoofer? I don't think it's worth it, it adds no bass.

Schpadoinkle

Are you trying to use a Fender subwoofer? I don't think it's worth it, it adds no bass.

Yeah that’s exactly what I was trying to do. I just wanted to keep it stock looking I guess. Still haven’t don’t it yet, can’t find that connector PN lol

chid

Ready to race!
Yeah that’s exactly what I was trying to do. I just wanted to keep it stock looking I guess. Still haven’t don’t it yet, can’t find that connector PN lol

Not sure if this is what you want, but here are the P/N to connect to the Fender subwoofer that I used:

to connect to Fender's connector subwoofer, I ordered these parts from vwpartsnation:
8E0-972-714 HOUSING $6.72 QTY=1
000-979-226-EA WIRES $7.87 QTY=2 $15.74

Schpadoinkle

Not sure if this is what you want, but here are the P/N to connect to the Fender subwoofer that I used:

to connect to Fender's connector subwoofer, I ordered these parts from vwpartsnation:

8E0-972-714 HOUSING $6.72 QTY=1

000-979-226-EA WIRES $7.87 QTY=2 $15.74

I have end, I’m actually looking for the part member on the female end, the one that would already be wired in the vehicle. I was going to use a new female connector to wire up an added amp. Thanks for replying though :)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Has anyone built a box to sit in where the the spare sits? Seems like you could fit something in there with enough internal volume and it be short enough that the floor would sit fine. I mean, if the Golf R guys get away without a spare I would love to put in something with more bumps and shed some weight at the same time. My google-fu seems to be failing me as I can't find any pics. Everyone just seems to be talking about 4" high boxes that fit above the spare.

DBot

Has anyone built a box to sit in where the the spare sits? Seems like you could fit something in there with enough internal volume and it be short enough that the floor would sit fine. I mean, if the Golf R guys get away without a spare I would love to put in something with more bumps and shed some weight at the same time. My google-fu seems to be failing me as I can't find any pics. Everyone just seems to be talking about 4" high boxes that fit above the spare.

Check this guy out. He’s gone all out and provided detail descriptions on the process.

https://stealthgti.com/electronics-suite/

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
HAHA!

Well aware of stealths build. 68lbs on top of a spare...not for me. Thanks though.

Agreed! I went overboard. But I could have easily done it without the spare, using the spare tire well as additional volume, and mounted fewer electronics. I think I could cut the weight by half, plus the removal of the spare tire. That's probably what I'll do with my next car, especially if it's an R.

Remember, the subwoofer and 3/4" MDF is not light stuff. There's only so much weight-cutting that can be done.

Scott

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
Drill holes in the MDF to reduce weight.
Just got shipping notification of the box, should be here Monday

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Well aware of stealths build. 68lbs on top of a spare...not for me. Thanks though.

I put this in my car within the first 3 days of owning the car, haha.

I love bass in all my cars and have always had the systems that were excessive f-body trans am had 4 10s with 2 1200 watt amps, a capacitor and a deep cycle battery in the trunk! even the ex wifes cars would get small 10" or a 8". My mk6 gli has the fender set up so i just delt with that but always wanted more boom. But with this rabbit version you can only get the trash stereo so this was a must for me, and I'm beyond surprised with the loud and clean (for a 12") this puts out! i added sound deadener in the whole cavity as wheel which help a lot as well.

also you can use this with or without the spare in place and it fits under the false floor so you loose no space. I was skeptical at first as well due to not having the box volume but its legit surreal how much bass this put out... its at the "punk kid" levels for sure and shake the mirrors with easy and that with the bass booster less than 1/2 ways up.

https://cerwinvegamobile.com/produc...ures/12-active-subwoofer-enclosures/vpas12st/

Attachments

• thumbnail3__1565974868_50135.jpg
    thumbnail3__1565974868_50135.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 536
  • thumbnail2__1565974893_79458.jpg
    thumbnail2__1565974893_79458.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 829
  • thumbnail_1__1565975633_39896.jpg
    thumbnail_1__1565975633_39896.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 543

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion

3/4" mdf is cheap and heavy - I hate it. Quality 1/2" plywood (not the crap from Lowes) is much nicer to work with, and an enclosure can be made that's substantially lighter. You can make up for the reduced thickness with internal bracing.

Think about sonotube extending down into the spare tire well for added volume. It's just large diameter cardboard tube used for concrete foundation forms. The round shape, however, gives it adequate stiffness.

Sonotube + 1/2" plywood probably wont be as stiff as a 3/4" MDF, but it would be a fair compromise to get the weight down and would work fine for a reasonably sane subwoofer stuffed in the spare tire area.