GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

chid

Ready to race!
DV52, do you have a diagram for the relay box engine compartment?
I'm looking to see where I can put the power cable for the amp, but all the ports are full, there is no one empty :(
thanks!
I'm getting ready to start my project, I'll go tomorrow to buy the MDF and hopefully build the box, next week I'm picking up all my stuff and then try to install everything.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
DV52, do you have a diagram for the relay box engine compartment?
I'm looking to see where I can put the power cable for the amp, but all the ports are full, there is no one empty :(
thanks!
I'm getting ready to start my project, I'll go tomorrow to buy the MDF and hopefully build the box, next week I'm picking up all my stuff and then try to install everything.

Chid: Great- it sounds like the project is getting to "installation phase"!

Not sure I understand what you need. Diagrams of the wiring sort generally show what is already connected in the vehicle. VW's wiring diagrams don't show relay/fuse boxes as a single item. Rather they show individual fuses/relays as they pertain to particular circuits (i.e. rear mirror circuit, instrument cluster circuit, cigarette lighter circuit etc.).

Are you wanting to identify the functions of particular relays or fuses? If so, then is it a location diagram that you are after and is the "relay box" the fuse box labelled "2" in the pic below?

If this is what you need, then PM your email details and I'll send you a PDF document. But please note that the version that I have is for a RoW model - not the NAR version (notwithstanding that they both have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car... haha).

Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
:D
I'm looking at the relay box no 2. It has wires in the front part of it, I want to see where I could attach my power cable, as all of the places are occupied.
the photo seems to have the steering wheel on the "good" side ;)
do you know also where I could find a good ground point in the trunk?
thanks!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
thanks!

chid: Why not use the same earthing points in the hatch that are used by the car's wiring?
The two that look reasonable are on both sides of the wheel housings. Pic below

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I'm looking at the relay box no 2. It has wires in the front part of it, I want to see where I could attach my power cable, as all of the places are occupied.
thanks!

chid:
Sorry, still don't know what you are intending to do. Is this the way (pic below) that you want to configure the supply side of the project -or are you simply intending to piggy-back the amplifier power cable onto an existing +12V wire from the fuse box?

Attachments

• Relay.jpg
    Relay.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 6,887
Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
chid: Why not use the same earthing points in the hatch that are used by the car's wiring?
The two that look reasonable are on both sides of the wheel housings. Pic below

That's a good idea, I'll try to do that on the right side, how do I remove the cover? (where are the pins that hold it?)

chid

Ready to race!
chid:
Sorry, still don't know what you are intending to do. Is this the way (pic below) that you want to configure the supply side of the project -or are you simply intending to piggy-back the amplifier power cable onto an existing +12V wire from the fuse box?

I just want to see where I can take a solid +12 from the battery without affecting anything else.

chid

Ready to race!
MDF cut and trial fit inside the trunk.

Attachments

• MDF cut.jpg
    MDF cut.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 6,810
  • sub-cut.jpg
    sub-cut.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 6,808

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
thanks!

chid: Had a look at my car and I think that I might have an alternative option for the power supply. Bearing in mind that the steering wheel is on the correct side - on my car there is a "hard +12V" supply on the upper LH corner of the fuse box inside the cabin. I've shown a pic of my fusebox below and I've translated the position of the +12V supply on a diagram of a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side (like yours). It's shown as SC3 on the diagram. I've also shown the position of a spare switched+12V supply (SC48 in the pic) in case you need this.

You will need to get yourself a multi-meter to confirm that these two points are on your car. I think these are better options because they are already inside the cabin (i.e. no need to get a wire from the engine bay through the firewall). Good luck!

Attachments

• Fusepanel.jpg
    Fusepanel.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 7,314
Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
DV52: Thanks! that's a great idea!
How do I connect to this one? I don't see a bolt to connect my amp kit :(

Thanks for all your help, I'm getting close :D

chid

Ready to race!
This is the relay box and I was looking at the bolts at the bottom to connect.
I will check to see if the positive inside the cabin can be used, that's a better alternative.

Attachments

• Relay box.jpg
    Relay box.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 9,788

chid

Ready to race!
I just checked the fuse box and it has the same pin.
It looks like it will accept a JCASE® CARTRIDGE FUSE.
I think I should be able to solder the power wire to the fuse and insert it there.
I don't know if it will be capable of the power for the amp, it's rated 1500W max, with 2x 40A fuses.
And I have the power cable with a fuse of 60A.
my electrical knowledge really stops here :D help!

Do you know what is that pin for? top left empty one.

Attachments

• fuse box.jpg
    fuse box.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 7,394
Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
I checked the pin, it has +12V with engine not running :D
I found a JCase with 50A @32V ... it looks nice in there....
I wonder if it will work to do something like this extension adapter.. but instead of going back to the fuse, continue to the amp (with its own fuse)...

The only thing I don't know is what is this pin for.... and if it will be able to take the load from the amp....:confused:

Attachments

• 20141227_160914.jpg
    20141227_160914.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 6,921
  • JCASE-Sicherungs-Verlaengerungsadapter.jpg
    JCASE-Sicherungs-Verlaengerungsadapter.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7,073

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I just checked the fuse box and it has the same pin.
It looks like it will accept a JCASE® CARTRIDGE FUSE.
I think I should be able to solder the power wire to the fuse and insert it there.
I don't know if it will be capable of the power for the amp, it's rated 1500W max, with 2x 40A fuses.
And I have the power cable with a fuse of 60A.
my electrical knowledge really stops here :D help!

Do you know what is that pin for? top left empty one.

chid: OK first some basic electrical theory: Power (in watts) = Voltage x Amps (for DC)
But it ain't that simple! for example, your amp is rated at 1.5KWs which would mean that the max current is 1,500/12=125Amps! However, there is a difference between max power rating and what's called RMS power rating (or "average" power rating - which is the important rating for the amp's thermal capacity). I'm not familiar with your amp, but I doubt that it would sustain a continuous power output of 1.5KWs. This power is probably only available from the amp for a short time. A fuse is a thermal device that takes time to heat-up. That's why you can use a lower rating fuse and still be able to supply higher power from it for a short time.

I can't find the rating of the SC3 fuse in my database. All that VW say about it is that it is a "special vehicle fuse, depending on equipment". But the size of the terminal is generally a good indication of carrying capacity. Just how loud do you intend to have the sound system operating in your car?

The enclosure that holds the studs in the engine compartment (in your pic) is called the E Box
Here are the ratings of the separate cables in the Ebox. Please note that these cables are connected directly to the battery (via stud 508). The studs for SA1 and SA4 feed the other fuse boxes in the rest of the car. SA3 supplies the steering column control module and SA5 supplies the radiator fan. Finally, the alternator charges the car's electrics through SA2 (the 400Amp stud).
Guess it's your choice where you get the +12V supply!!

Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
Thanks!
My amp is a JBL MSA5001, 500WRMS, 1500W peak.
Subwoofer is a Pioneer 12in TS-SW3002S4 400W RMS.

Can I use the pin inside the car? (I guess is the SC3? )