GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

Faceman

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Awesome write up, because I've used them before I sourced the connector and wires from e-acca for a total of $17.33 USD delivered, so if you're not in a hurry I'd recommend it if you want to save a few bucks.

Schpadoinkle

Awesome write up, because I've used them before I sourced the connector and wires from e-acca for a total of $17.33 USD delivered, so if you're not in a hurry I'd recommend it if you want to save a few bucks.

Do you have a link for the connector you used? It’s not the easiest to navigate e-acca [emoji23] thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skadee

3/4" mdf is cheap and heavy - I hate it. Quality 1/2" plywood (not the crap from Lowes) is much nicer to work with, and an enclosure can be made that's substantially lighter. You can make up for the reduced thickness with internal bracing.

Think about sonotube extending down into the spare tire well for added volume. It's just large diameter cardboard tube used for concrete foundation forms. The round shape, however, gives it adequate stiffness.

Sonotube + 1/2" plywood probably wont be as stiff as a 3/4" MDF, but it would be a fair compromise to get the weight down and would work fine for a reasonably sane subwoofer stuffed in the spare tire area.

I hate MDF too, try MDO - the surface is just like MDF, but it's Medium Density Overlay, much lighter.
A sheet of 3/4 MDF = 99 lbs, a sheet of 3/4 MDO = 55 lbs (some can be 69 lbs, but still way lighter).