GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

cb1111

Hmmm,

Please explain that. Given the same potential at the amp, cutting the impedance of the load (speaker) will increase the output current. Power equals potential times current. More current equals more power. It's similar to how upgrading to a higher-power light bulb will result in brighter light without changing the supplied voltage.

The specs clearly state that the amp outputs 175W @4-ohms, 300W @2-ohms, and 500W @1-ohm. I had to adjust some settings because (drum-roll) the bass was louder with the new load (more power).

How am I wrong?

Scott

You might be right. It has been 40 years since I did this stuff.

Cheers

cb1111

I'm noticing a trend with CB and that is, there is always a counterpoint or "clarification" backed up with points that are simply not true (or no backup at all). Stealth, you are correct. By using lower impedance speakers and more efficient enclosures/amplifiers, you are in fact increasing the output of the sub. Ohms law, yo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Really? Care to give me an example via PM to not get off topic?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Stealth, you are correct. By using lower impedance speakers and more efficient enclosures/amplifiers, you are in fact increasing the output of the sub. Ohms law, yo.

All you needed to say here.

I'm noticing a trend with CB and that is, there is always a counterpoint or "clarification" backed up with points that are simply not true (or no backup at all).

Same could be said for you and a lot of other posters here, myself included. Although I'm usually trolling and most others aren't. :cool:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
All you needed to say here.

Fixed. You're right, I get fired up when I see repeating argumentative posts like that happen and up let my fingers fly. My apologies

cb1111

Fixed. You're right, I get fired up when I see repeating argumentative posts like that happen and up let my fingers fly. My apologies
...and I'm still waiting for your PM. Even in this "apology"post you are repeating your drivel. Are you connected with Facebook? Sounds like a similar apology.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Stealth, you are correct. By using lower impedance downstream of the amp, you are in fact increasing the output of the amp. Ohms law, yo.

HAHA! I learned Ohm's Law in 1985 and it's been a part of my life nearly every day ever since (30+ years in electronics career). I was 99% certain I was on point, but was open to the possibility of learning something new. This is the first time I've seen Ohm's Law in a practical application through changes to my own audio equipment, though. So that was cool.

Stealth, you have like 9 different components in your system, what are they all?? It looks nuts in there (in a very good way)

Too much to cover in this topic without derailing it further. My system is not Fender-based and deviates substantially from a simple subwoofer upgrade. I have details in THIS POST. The short answer is the Helix amp, graphic EQ, sub amp, voltage inverter, ham radio, voltage regulation, power switching, and fuse protection. But check my topic for more details and comment there.

Scott

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hello,

HAHA! I learned Ohm's Law in 1985 and it's been a part of my life nearly every day ever since (30+ years in electronics career). I was 99% certain I was on point, but was open to the possibility of learning something new. This is the first time I've seen Ohm's Law in a practical application through changes to my own audio equipment, though. So that was cool.

Too much to cover in this topic without derailing it further. My system is not Fender-based and deviates substantially from a simple subwoofer upgrade. I have details in THIS POST. The short answer is the Helix amp, graphic EQ, sub amp, voltage inverter, ham radio, voltage regulation, power switching, and fuse protection. But check my topic for more details and comment there.

Scott
Thanks, I'll check it out! Nice work!

Jlewiss

not sure of the size, but I was talking on vortex abt this, sub upgrade in mk7, too. talking over w a guy and researching for him, this box mite be pretty darn close to what y'all need:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-E7ywn...12LG-TW3.html?tp=112&nvpair=FFBrand|JL+Audio&

It don't matter to me bc my boot is already gone, the dual 12" JL audio subs w amp/cap/loc-dsp mounted on top, pretty much fills up the trunk entirely! BUT, I can easily swap it out for the junk fender sub if I have to via the quick-connects I made tapped into the fender sub wires.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie

Jlewiss

5.125" is without the grille, 6.625" with the grille.
golly, 1.5", pretty thick grille.
oh well, bang for the buck says buy a big 10" or 12" sub woofer box and keep the Fender sub, just unhook and connect wires into the new sub box, then plug Fender sub back in when you need the trunk space. :cool:

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
golly, 1.5", pretty thick grille.
oh well, bang for the buck says buy a big 10" or 12" sub woofer box and keep the Fender sub, just unhook and connect wires into the new sub box, then plug Fender sub back in when you need the trunk space. :cool:

I copied the "cheap and easy" mod to replace my Fender sub. Sounds great and is inexpensive. Not the same as a big enclosure, amp, and twin 12" speakers but not everyone wants that.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39460

Defiler

Passed Driver's Ed
4" is the max height that will fit under the deck and still allow the deck to lay flat. That box is 5.125".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I measured the height of where the lid would rest on the ledges and I get 4.5". Is the middle higher than the edges for clearance? I know it's only .5" but every little bit helps.