GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subwoofer Added on Stock Sound System

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hey all,

My gti that i took delivery of in October is great but it was always lacking good audio capabilities as we do not get the Dynaudio option here in Dubai.

I was finally able to install a subwoofer to compliment the system and i can safely say....massive improvement!

All stock speakers are now set to Zero Bass on the equalizer so a lot of load is now not handled by them so they can now focus on Mids, highs and vocals :D

Ive attached some pictures and my video link below if you guys are interested. I installed the Rockford Fosgate R300-12 Powered subwoofer (amp built in 300w). It only took a mere 2 hours (including removing of seats,pulling wires etc) to install and was done by a professional car electronics company here in Dubai. I wanted the spare whell sub like the pioneer or the Helix, but they are not available here and are expensive(helix). I paid a total of AED 1947 which is roughly 530 USD which includes the Sub, RCA cables , HI-lo converter, Power kit (all from monster) and installation/labour charges.

Highly recommend if you feel that stock system is lacking but you do not want to shell out the big bucks on a full system. :D

Also while adding the sub, i decided to change the vanity mirror bulbs to white LED's to go with the LED reading lights.

Video link (hope it works as its my first video) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn-XhfPVchA

Attachments

• IMG_4312.JPG
    IMG_4312.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 37,269
  • IMG_4314.JPG
    IMG_4314.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 15,245
  • IMG_4310.JPG
    IMG_4310.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 12,885
Last edited:

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Probably a bit OCD, but seeing those cables would do my head in. Shame the connections weren't on the rear or other side so the cables could be hidden better ;).

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Someone please explain this to me ... ... ... seriously, what's this all about?

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Probably a bit OCD, but seeing those cables would do my head in. Shame the connections weren't on the rear or other side so the cables could be hidden better ;).

yeah that is a bother, but i will be sorting that out soon...they've given me some wiggle room with the wires, so i might just move it to the right side, where the wires will be hidden :)

SharmaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Videos blocked mate.. Nice add on though... Couple of my friends had it hooked up to their cars too.. It Sure does pack a punch... Congratz :)

Edit: Video up again! guess my phone was acting up....

Last edited:

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Congrats! Would love to hear it one day :D

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Someone please explain this to me ... ... ... seriously, what's this all about?

years back I used to be into ICE (In car entertainment) , in the case of the OP, the RF (rockford fosgate) set up will enhance the lower frequency performance of the audio, the price and labour may not be too different from the plug and play, however like you can see, there is a luggage space cost which may affect some owners.

These were some units I designed and made back in the day

However I uprated the regular speakers and amplification too, the dynaudio probably doesn't sound as complete as my set up I had in my Corrado, but there is planty to be getting on with and the price then seems a bargain especially as I lose little or no practicality of the car.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
What do you mean?..... its like a pause :p (something like "wait for it")

My post is serious, I don't understand what this massive speaker is for, why is it in the boot and facing backwards?

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
My post is serious, I don't understand what this massive speaker is for, why is it in the boot and facing backwards?

Sorry for the confusion.

This is a Subwoofer, as you know the car speakers produce high, mid and low range frequencies. Bass is on of the low frequencies and its the "booming" or "thumping" sound you might hear from the speakers of your car(vibration?) when listening to moderate to loud music. Its like the Bass drum in a Drum Kit (the big round one in the center)

A subwoofer (or "sub") is a woofer, or a complete loudspeaker, which is dedicated to the reproduction of low-pitched audio frequencies known as bass. Subwoofers are made up of one or more woofers mounted in a loudspeaker enclosure—often made of wood—capable of withstanding air pressure while resisting deformation.

If you have a home theater system, every single of these has a sub woofer, this is usually what it looks like. The home theater ones usually have a grill on top for the purpose of good clean looks.

The speaker or woofer is facing backwards as thats the position in which the best output of the woofer can be achieved. It can also be facing sideways, but most pre-designed subwoofer boxes tend to have a diagonal slant back to rest against the slant of the rear seatback like how it is in one of the pictures i posted. It can be placed any position that you like or one that is convenient to your car design. Most are facing backwards as it allows for a larger suface area for the air to travel and to get that boom from the speaker. Also the big box is responsible for how boomy the bass is as the air inside produces the affect due to the vacuum sealed enclosure.

Some subs also have ports or openings such as the one "Avanti" posted with the port/opening being on top of the box. As the air is allowed to escape, these subwoofers are generally much louder as the air is pushed out resulting in even more vibrating boomy bass.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
OK - I'm not really any the wiser but thanks for your explanation.

I guess this is the type of car audio which we can hear coming half a mile before the car reaches us :rolleyes: