GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SubFrame Rust

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
I was taking a quick look under my 2016 R to see which version Dogbone mount I have (looks to be version 1 right?) and I was surprised at the amount of rust on my subframe. Basically all the edges look like the pic below. Should I be worried if I plan on keeping the car long-term?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-182251.png
    Screenshot_20210217-182251.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 141

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I was taking a quick look under my 2016 R to see which version Dogbone mount I have (looks to be version 1 right?) and I was surprised at the amount of rust on my subframe. Basically all the edges look like the pic below. Should I be worried if I plan on keeping the car long-term?
Looks like my '16 R here in Michigan. I just touch it up with a little black spray paint each fall when I mount my snow tires. My plan is to eventually buy the aluminum front subframe. If that's your plan, don't waste money on a dogbone mount until you switch, or you can buy THIS it works for both versions.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Mine looked similar to that. I hit the rust spots with some sandpaper and brushed over with POR15. Most of that rust is superficial, but I'm in my GTI for the long haul so I'd rather keep it as clean as I can

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Aluminum subframe

1613673183032.png

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Haha, I'd be lieing if I said I didn't already read up on the Audi aluminum subframe....and the blackhole of supporting mods that could be done at the same time.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Aluminum subframe, aluminum control arms and front sway bar if that's something you are at all interested in. Pendulum insert and mount at the same time of course. That's what I got done in one shot. Did I miss anything?

Had somebody told me there was a such thing as a "dynamic steering rack" I would have got that installed at the same time. None of you lot told me I needed that for my Golf... I'm at minimum mildly upset.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
I'll keep an eye on local yards

Sounds like Audi A3/S3 subframe works. What about from a Passat or TT?

I've heard the TT control arms are the best but A3/S3 and Passats would also work?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Aluminum subframe, aluminum control arms and front sway bar if that's something you are at all interested in. Pendulum insert and mount at the same time of course. That's what I got done in one shot. Did I miss anything?

Had somebody told me there was a such thing as a "dynamic steering rack" I would have got that installed at the same time. None of you lot told me I needed that for my Golf... I'm at minimum mildly upset.

Deadset kit

I'll keep an eye on local yards

Sounds like Audi A3/S3 subframe works. What about from a Passat or TT?

I've heard the TT control arms are the best but A3/S3 and Passats would also work?

I'm not sure if the subframe from the Passat or TT would work.

SuperPro alloy LCA 🙃

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My understanding was it was more of an MK6 thing with the Passat arms. The A3/S3 subframe 100% for sure works... I don't know that the TT has a different subframe from those two cars, but if it's different I would be surprised if there a big enough price difference between the two to warrant trying the unknown. I would assume no performance difference.

For the control arms it probably just depends on what you want and how much you can get them for. I got white lines on sale for around $250 (I think). They add some camber but also caster. I believe the super pro add more camber and there's also a version of the white lines that adds more caster than the ones I have. If you aren't looking for additional camber/caster you could just get solid bushings for your stock arms (or buy arms with solid bushings already installed).