GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subframe/Dogbone mount bolt

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Probably a stupid question, but here goes...

I have some leftover caliper carrier bolts (N 910 849 01) from my MKV or MK6 that are M14x1.5x55mm. The dogbone mount bolt for the MK7/7.5 (N 912 010 01) is M14x1.5x50mm. The only difference besides the obvious 5mm length is that the caliper bolt is grade 10.9 and the actual dogbone bolt is 8.8. I'm going to be installing an insert (undecided on 034 or APR at the moment), so it will be reducing the thread engagement by a few mm already. I figured there shouldn't be an issue with the bolt bottoming out or hitting anything above the top subframe bushing because we're probably only talking about 1-2mm of length difference. Anyone think there would be a problem running the longer caliper carrier bolt?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I don't know if the caliper bolt would work or not, but personally I don't think I'd risk it. That's an expensive repair if something goes wrong. As cheap as new dogbone bolts cost, I'd just buy a new one. They're only like $2 or $3 or so from the dealer. If that's not feasible, you should be fine reusing your existing dogbone bolt. I just wouldn't reuse it several times, maybe once or twice.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I have no problem dishing out the extra few $ for a new dogbone bolt, just thought using a slightly stronger (and longer because of the subframe insert) bolt might be a better idea since I believe VW considers it a one-time use bolt.