Sub-to-Dub's 2017 GTI Sport

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
September 2020

Project:
blindspot mirror install
Product: 5G0-857-521 (driver side), 5G0-857-522(passenger side)
Cost: $130
Install time: <5 minutes
Difficulty: 1/5

I pickup up a set of the euro blind spot mirrors from ShopDAP. I don't really have an issue with blindspots on the OEM mirrors but I generally prefer to see a larger area behind me.

Unsurprisingly, the quality and fit is really good and installation took about 2 minutes. I haven't done a proper drive yet and I'm sure it'll take a few miles to get used to the new view but I think this is a change for the better.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
December 2020

Project:
Powerflex dogbone insert
Product: PFF85-832R (diesel model)
Cost: $50 ($40 insert, $10 hardware)
Install time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: 2/5

I decided to fiddle yet again with my dogbone setup partly because I was getting tired of the vibrations at idle and partly because I found a good deal on a new insert and figured what the heck.

The car was running an older style ECS insert and an ECS pendulum arm. The combo did make a nice difference but unsurprisingly introduced some vibrations.

The ECS insert held up great but the bearing in the ECS arm seems to have a lot of side-to-side slop despite the bolt being tight (cue the negative ECS comments!) That made me nervous so I decided to put the stock arm back on. Honestly, upgrading the arm is unnecessary for my car and I'll keep the OEM part on for now.

I replaced the ECS insert with a Powerflex red (diesel) insert. Snagged it on sale during Black Friday. Installation was drama free.

I've only driven a few miles but it already feels smoother. There are fewer vibrations at idle, and the shudder I used to get when the revs would drop through 1250rpm seems to be gone.

Tried the red (diesel) version hoping there would be less NVH.

The ECS insert held up well, the pendulum arm bearing not so much

Went back to the OEM arm with fresh hardware

I'll wait a few hundred miles to make a determination but so far so good. The red insert seems like a good compromise between performance and comfort.

The next step is either CP-E or BFI engine and transmission mounts. I regret not ordering a set during Black Friday but just wasn't ready to drop $500.

Update: I disassembled the ECS arm and nothing looked broken or out of place. The rubber seals were pretty loose and the bearing was dirty and completely devoid of any grease. It definitely has more movement than when it was new. Regardless, happy to be back to the OEM part.

Last edited:

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
I have yet to mess with any dogbone inserts but I just recently installed a Jb4 and I am now thinking it’s time to look into it. From your experience with different configurations, can u give me any insight as to which combo feels closest to stock? I know there is always a probability of introducing NVH but I’m curious to know your experiences.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
I have yet to mess with any dogbone inserts but I just recently installed a Jb4 and I am now thinking it’s time to look into it. From your experience with different configurations, can u give me any insight as to which combo feels closest to stock? I know there is always a probability of introducing NVH but I’m curious to know your experiences.

So far the Powerflex red insert is my favorite because of the performance/comfort balance.

Wheel hop is reduced (but not eliminated), shifts feel crisp, and excess vibrations are really only noticeable at idle. I'll wait a few hundred miles to draw an ultimate conclusion but I'm liking it so far.

You're totally right that any of these inserts will introduce some NVH, it just comes down to your tolerance levels and goals for the car. It's also subjective, like discussing an exhaust, one person may love the sound, another might think it's way too loud.

Engine and transmission mounts also play a role in this equation and that's the next thing on my list.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
November 2016

The Sport's Nogaro wheels were nice but I preferred the Austins found on other years/trims. I sold the Nogaros to a very nice local Tiguan owner and picked up a set of used Austins for $400 and put on some Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s.

boooooo, downgrade

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
So far the Powerflex red insert is my favorite because of the performance/comfort balance.

Wheel hop is reduced (but not eliminated), shifts feel crisp, and excess vibrations are really only noticeable at idle. I'll wait a few hundred miles to draw an ultimate conclusion but I'm liking it so far.

You're totally right that any of these inserts will introduce some NVH, it just comes down to your tolerance levels and goals for the car. It's also subjective, like discussing an exhaust, one person may love the sound, another might think it's way too loud.

Engine and transmission mounts also play a role in this equation and that's the next thing on my list.
That’s good to here. I’ve heard of a couple gti owners cutting the red insert about 3/4 of the way down or so in order to make it even mor comfortable. Have u heard of anything like that in regards to modification of the insert?

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
That’s good to here. I’ve heard of a couple gti owners cutting the red insert about 3/4 of the way down or so in order to make it even mor comfortable. Have u heard of anything like that in regards to modification of the insert?

Funny you mention that, I had just watched this video a few days ago. Not sure if they're a member here but there are a few additional videos detailing his experiences.
LastHumansGarage

Seems like a reasonable thing to try if the full insert is too harsh.

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
So after watching the video, it seems there actually might b something here. Maybe I will give this dogbone Insert a try and if it’s so harsh I can attempt to cut it. Btw, is it difficult to remove an existing insert once it’s inside or is it relatively easy aslong as u grease it up before installing?

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
So after watching the video, it seems there actually might b something here. Maybe I will give this dogbone Insert a try and if it’s so harsh I can attempt to cut it. Btw, is it difficult to remove an existing insert once it’s inside or is it relatively easy aslong as u grease it up before installing?

There may be some rocking of the engine and wiggling of the insert required to get it back out but I'd be very surprised if you had trouble removing it, especially if it's only after a few hundred miles or so.

I've only ever taken out the shallow style of insert, nothing like the Powerflex that extends further in to fill some of the gaps in that upper puck. I suspect grease would make it easier to extract and you'll certainly need it to install the insert in the first place.

All-in-all, this is a pretty low-risk mod to try. $50 for the insert and new bolt and if after a few hundred miles it's to harsh, trim it down or take it out all together. I think a couple of other folks have installed the red insert very recently so they may be able to weigh as well.