GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

STUPID ENGINE SWAP QUESTION

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
SO! From what I have learned about this MK7 platform its pretty lego like. What is stopping someone from slapping in a 2.0 GTI engine/Trans and running a 2.0 tune on the TSI ecu? Had the idea when i found some cheap donors on Copart. I just think it would be sick to strip a totaled GTI and use a TSI as a base. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To the best of my knowledge which is limited it wouldn't work unless a tune is compatible with the TSI ECU. What tune did you have in mind? Is there something wrong with the TSI engine?

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Oh nothing is wrong! And I was guessing Unitronic or something But I suppose if you have a GTI ECU might as well use it. I think the VIN would be mismatched and could have issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's only a few companies tuning the TSI. There's 3 or 4 guys in the forum who are running low 12's with the TSI.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That's really cool! Lol but imagine all the parts you'd have like a leather interior or keyless entry, maybe a dsg??

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly there's enough tuning potential in the 1.8 that you're far better off doing a turbo swap then replacing the whole drivetrain. Though if you realllly want to, your best bet is the 2.0 out of the Mk6 GLI, which lacks the exhaust timing that is found on the GTI, can work with the 1.8 ECU as a drop in. Still, you're better off getting an Is20, you can find good low mileage examples from GTI owners, and it's a relatively straightforward upgrade to horsepower in the high 200's on pump gas.

Out of everything you said, my biggest concern would quite frankly be getting a DSG to play nice with an Aisin/5-spd ECU. Don't doubt that it can be done, just know that it's uncharted waters you're heading into if you go down that path.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Can't trade, just thought it would be cool.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Blade probably knows the most about this, he was looking into doing a 2.0 swap recently. It's definitely possible, but idk how much work it would take. Whatever the case it WON'T be cheap, mostly due to the current unknowns.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Been done there is a guy on here who bought a crashed R hatch & crashed base GSW...made a R GSW.....in USA.....

You need to swap over the ECU from GTI...& get component protection removed & sorted...thats the biggest headache...