GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stud Conversion Kits

mrsmiley909

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R MT
Hello!

I purchased a stud conversion kit from ECS for my 2016 Golf R. This one to be exact:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ball-seat-stud-conversion-kit/001467ecs01kt/

What I received has me a bit confused. The studs that I received seem to be too thin. The ball seat lugs in the kit will not even thread onto the studs. And the studs will not thread onto the rotors. They are a bit smaller in diameter compared with the stock wheel bolts.

Reached out to ECS and will be returning the kit. The strange thing is these studs are labeled as M14x1.5 56mm. Are these the correct dimensions for the MK7 Golf R? The support person was not able to give a definitive answer on what happened there.

I'm curious what experience others have had with studs for our applications? And what brands are recommended?

Much appreciated.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Sounds like they were labeled incorrectly, as that’s the right size.

These are what I purchased.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw...7bNTXpNRqas9YjDh3_m57FNzO0izBBuRoC654QAvD_BwE

I’ve also personally made a shift away from ECS unless absolutely necessary, due to inconsistent items and shipping delays. I hate when an item says in stock, then takes 2 months to actually ship. There’s other vendors that are a little more consistent for me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw...7bNTXpNRqas9YjDh3_m57FNzO0izBBuRoC654QAvD_BwE

I’ve also personally made a shift away from ECS unless absolutely necessary, due to inconsistent items and shipping delays. I hate when an item says in stock, then takes 2 months to actually ship. There’s other vendors that are a little more consistent for me.
In ECS's defense a lot of that is their supplier screwing them over. All companies are having shipping problems.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
In ECS's defense a lot of that is their supplier screwing them over. All companies are having shipping problems.

I’m okay with delays, I’m not naive to the global shortages. But tell me up front if something I’m ordering will automatically be backordered once I hit submit. Don’t take my money then make me wait 2 months for something that said was in stock, on a regular basis.

That’s a challenge I know if you are a drop ship company. Not sure if they are or not. But there’s plenty of other vendors with live inventory, or will let me know if something is out of stock, ask what I want to do, issue a refund, and ship the rest of my order. That’s the simple service I expect. Not hold up a larger order for a small time part.

End of derailing the thread.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m okay with delays, I’m not naive to the global shortages. But tell me up front if something I’m ordering will automatically be backordered once I hit submit. Don’t take my money then make me wait 2 months for something that said was in stock, on a regular basis.

That’s a challenge I know if you are a drop ship company. Not sure if they are or not. But there’s plenty of other vendors with live inventory, or will let me know if something is out of stock, ask what I want to do, issue a refund, and ship the rest of my order. That’s the simple service I expect. Not hold up a larger order for a small time part.

👍

mrsmiley909

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R MT

I bought some conical lug nuts direct from motorsport hardware earlier this month. They shipped them out the next day. Will probably order these directly from them as it's a bit cheaper there. Though the fcpeuro replacement guarantee is tempting for these.

Hoping ECS is taking note of these issues and improves their service. They had been a good source for automotive parts. But it's always nice to have other options.

Much appreciated!

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
I bought some conical lug nuts direct from motorsport hardware earlier this month. They shipped them out the next day. Will probably order these directly from them as it's a bit cheaper there. Though the fcpeuro replacement guarantee is tempting for these.

Hoping ECS is taking note of these issues and improves their service. They had been a good source for automotive parts. But it's always nice to have other options.

Much appreciated!
Motorsport Hardware is A++++ 👍 I did accidentally screw up one of the Allens on a stud while rushing so it's nice that FCP sells them individually.

Out of curiosity, what wheels are you running with the conical nuts?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

They are. I've had the same problem at just about every large aftermarket parts dealer for this platform. ECS, BMP, and one other. Maybe USP?. Item said "in stock", ordered, and then got told it was on back order.

It's gotten to the point where I'll actually take a few minutes to chat with the company first and ask "Is this item actually in stock?" before placing an order.

Not sure why ECS specifically gets so much hate for it when it's an issue that plagues most all vendors. Maybe because they're the largest, you see more cases of it happening based on sheer volume alone?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
They are. I've had the same problem at just about every large aftermarket parts dealer for this platform. ECS, BMP, and one other. Maybe USP?. Item said "in stock", ordered, and then got told it was on back order.

It's gotten to the point where I'll actually take a few minutes to chat with the company first and ask "Is this item actually in stock?" before placing an order.

Not sure why ECS specifically gets so much hate for it when it's an issue that plagues most all vendors. Maybe because they're the largest, you see more cases of it happening based on sheer volume alone?

They’re the only ones that have done it to me.

ShopDAP, and BMP have both hit me up right away and said hey, X part is out of stock, you can either wait and we’ll send you the rest of the order, or get a refund for X part, and we’ll send you the rest of the order.

I’ll still use ECS if they have a art nobody else has, the price is great, and I don’t mind the wait. There’s so many vendors out there that offer what you might be looking for. Go with who you like best. I like the better customer service aspect, so that’s where I prefer to shop.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Never had an issue with ECS ever. Twice I ordered parts that were not in stock and they shipped when they said they would. I ordered the rear upper brace a few days ago and it'll be here Monday.

I've seen stud kits with long and shorts nuts. Is there an advantage/dis to either one?

mrsmiley909

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R MT
Motorsport Hardware is A++++ 👍 I did accidentally screw up one of the Allens on a stud while rushing so it's nice that FCP sells them individually.

Out of curiosity, what wheels are you running with the conical nuts?
I have a set of Superspeed RF06RR wheels. They are with specs 18x8.5 57.1 CB and conical seats!

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I too don't understand the ecs hate. Maybe I've been lucky but I've been ordering from them since my MB days at least 10 years ago. My ecs studs are holding up just fine. Going on 2.5 years I believe. I rarely drive my car since covid but I daily drove on them for a while before covid and have taken my wheels off many times. Still no issues. With that said, when I get new studs, I'd probably give motorsports hardware a shot.