GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut tower cut-off for camber adjustment

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
As for using a bump spring.... we are doing the same thing as it helps reduce heavy impacts and provides a progressive end of stroke spring rate. The bump spring sits on top of the bump stop and adds resistance only at that point in the travel.

What damper is this used on?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I imagine you will have to replace most of the front suspension components to get to 3 degrees. Camber plates alone won't do it. But that's a topic for a different thread.
Maxing out my BC plates has me right at -3 on camber

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
This is a JRI coilover system for my TTRS which can be adapted to any MQB.

15S3

Ready to race!
For you Golf guys they have a different spring mount that includes a rubber isolator. This reduces NVH but isn't really required. You will need to determine which spring perch you want.
Will these rubber isolators work on the S3. I'm pretty happy with the NVH running GC plates and Ohlins but if I ever need to drop them might be worth adding a bit of rubber to further soften impacts for daily driving.

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
They will work on any 2.5" spring. If you compress the spring and remove the top nut you can drop the shock down and swap camber plate pieces parts without removing everything.

15S3

Ready to race!
They will work on any 2.5" spring. If you compress the spring and remove the top nut you can drop the shock down and swap camber plate pieces parts without removing everything.
Great tip, thanks! I may have to try that. Is there a part# for these, don't see anything on their web site. Or should I just call GC and ask.

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I did speak to Ohlins beforehand but I was one of the first in the country to run them on this car. I've had them on the car for over a year. This is my off-season so I'm re-working my suspension.

Like I said there are significant differences between the MQB platforms. Even the RS3 and TTRS have different length front shocks. There are bigger differences between the MK7 and S3. At the time I also didn't know the Vorshlag plates would rob me of over 1" of suspension travel. They are the worst option for the MQB platform.

The SuperPro camber plates are an excellent alternative for a street car. With some aftermarket coilovers the protrusion will still require tower modifications though.
Hey, I have a question regarding Ohlins R&T.

I know you own a TTRS, and that the suspension geometry between your TTRS and a MK7 GTI are different, but I am leaning towards getting Ohlins R&T coilovers for my MK7 GTI in the future. Reading this thread is making me question if I should or not because you are saying that it doesn’t drop the car enough for the preload it’s is adjusted to and set at. Would this also be the case for the MK7 GTI? Do you know any MK7 GTI or R owners running Ohlins R&T coilovers?

I am currently on BC Racing coilovers. They have been okay. They are a great price for what you get, but I’m looking for something that is more street friendly, meaning, when I hit a jagged bump in a road, it’s not going to send jolts up my spine. BC Racing coilovers do not take to these types of road modulations well. On cornering they’re great, but daily driving roads that aren’t very good is not ideal with them. I’ve heard Ohlins R&T are really good at soaking up these kinds of modulations. I had Status Gruppe coilovers on my E46 M3 that did and excellent job at soaking these modulations up, so when I got these BC’s, I was pretty disappointed.

I am not looking at anything crazy low, but I am looking for something to give me a good stance. I really like the stance I have currently, so if the Ohlins can’t drop the car enough, I unfortunately might have to re-think buying them.

You can check out my current stance on my GTI on my Instagram page.

IG: jacesownworld

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

I know you own a TTRS, and that the suspension geometry between your TTRS and a MK7 GTI are different, but I am leaning towards getting Ohlins R&T coilovers for my MK7 GTI in the future. Reading this thread is making me question if I should or not because you are saying that it doesn’t drop the car enough for the preload it’s is adjusted to and set at. Would this also be the case for the MK7 GTI? Do you know any MK7 GTI or R owners running Ohlins R&T coilovers?

I am currently on BC Racing coilovers. They have been okay. They are a great price for what you get, but I’m looking for something that is more street friendly, meaning, when I hit a jagged bump in a road, it’s not going to send jolts up my spine. BC Racing coilovers do not take to these types of road modulations well. On cornering they’re great, but daily driving roads that aren’t very good is not ideal with them. I’ve heard Ohlins R&T are really good at soaking up these kinds of modulations. I had Status Gruppe coilovers on my E46 M3 that did and excellent job at soaking these modulations up, so when I got these BC’s, I was pretty disappointed.

I am not looking at anything crazy low, but I am looking for something to give me a good stance. I really like the stance I have currently, so if the Ohlins can’t drop the car enough, I unfortunately might have to re-think buying them.

Ohlins aren't the coilovers for you. They are great for performance and tracking, not so much for having a good looking stance.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Ohlins aren't the coilovers for you. They are great for performance and tracking, not so much for having a good looking stance.
What would be a good option then? I’m not looking for cheap coilovers. I have had the KW V2’s before, and they were decent.

I haven’t looked into it deeply, but I wish there were some local USA based companies that provided great aftermarket parts, like Status Gruppe does for BMW’s, because it would be nice having that over these mass produced companies offering just “okay” items...

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
If the choice was between Ohlins and KW I'd probably go with Ohlins. The thing is I have no idea how they will fit on your platform. Something as simple as the fender can be the difference between lowered looking and slammed. I will say that Ohlins has fantastic customer support so you could call and ask.

If you are willing to spend a bit more than I would look at the Ultimate Performance JRI coilovers. They are a couple grand more than Ohlins but they would give you everything from compliance to adjustability to performance. I just finished up installing the production version of the suspension and it is top top shelf stuff. I'd recommend you reach out to Pete at https://www.529innovations.com/ ‪(701) 969-0529‬.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Anyone have experience with updated Ohlins road and track kit? | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Are there any cons for cutting off the top of the strut tower on a MK7 GTI 6MT?

I am going to install ST XTA coilovers soon (front camber adjustable), and some forum users indicate that cutting those tower top off should not affect anything.

Unless I cut those off there is no access to camber adjustments once coilovers mounted on the car.

Anyone who cut those and ran into any issues?

Attachments

• 2BB4F3B1-4B08-449C-9925-9BF6E7EBD5C7.jpeg
    2BB4F3B1-4B08-449C-9925-9BF6E7EBD5C7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
I have been running with mine opened up for a couple years ... no issues even with lots of track time. I did go for more camber and had to dremel off additional inner tower material.
Also be advised the shock shaft moves around when you are turning so be sure to check that it doesn't make contact with the tower at full lock.

Reactions: q74