Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
1661518749436.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
FMIC + aftermarket spoiler extension. You don’t need to worry about getting protested if you aren’t competitive.
View attachment 259210
Don't worry, I'll never protest you, even when you get faster. Before you started running with us, I was trying to fill the class with SM cars that were running 200tw's so we could have a full class. It's more fun to have 7 or 8 cars instead of 2 or 3 in a class.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If by some miracle I become competitive one day and care about staying in STH, I'll go SMIC. Thinking it through, I don't think there's any way to make a FMIC legal because you always will have to remove the stock IC hoses, even if you don't remove any other parts. Mayyyybe a bicooler would be legal since charge pipes can be modified or replaced.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I have a friend on the STAC and I’ll inquire. - AB

Same here. With the rule the way it was written, I was very careful not to have my adjustment hole come in contact with the stock strut top hole. - AB
If someone needs to write a letter, I’ll do it. It’s been on my list for a while.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Good weekend. I finished first, codriver second in class and 6th and 9th pax.

It was our night race, where you do 3 runs during day, 3 at night, and you combine the best time from both sessions.

I pulled a stupid fast run out of my ass on the last run at night. Half a second faster than my day run and it felt like I used to drive, getting the car to dance and move around the cones.

As I was getting ready for the night runs, i watched my day video like 20 times, decided to not force it and focus on 2 or 3 elements where it looked looked like I could carry more speed. It worked. I think over the last few years chasing my other codriver, who is a professional driver, I've been trying to push too hard everywhere and forgot to go slow in the slow places and go fast in the fast places.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't know how y'all manage those night runs. Maybe I have old man eyes, but I would've been mowing down every other cone. Nice job!!
Good headlights and watching day videos on repeat to memorize the course helped a lot.

I have a setup for you. I used it on my S before I got swanky headlights. It's 2 LED lights on a front tow hook and you aim them out diagonally. It worked really well. We'll hook you up for next year.

It doesn't look like much, but it lights up the periphery while the high beams light to straight ahead. Finding the next element out in the periphery is the hard part, these help.
Screenshot_20220923-090711_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: