265 / 235 width
fronts are 18x9 +45 with 3mm spacer
rears are 17x8 +45

fender screw mod in front, no rub

IMG_20210615_130220154_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210615_130417202_HDR.jpg

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Out of curiosity, threw my car on the scales at finger lakes. This was with ~1/2 tank of gas and no spare in the trunk (but the jack and tools were still in there).

PXL_20210619_153012711.jpg

eSienk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
My 235s are also of an older vintage than my fronts.

They must not be a popular enough size, still selling tires from an older production run.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Out of curiosity, threw my car on the scales at finger lakes. This was with ~1/2 tank of gas and no spare in the trunk (but the jack and tools were still in there).

View attachment 217338
Time to tweak those coilovers...

Sub 3,000 lbs with a driver?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Time to tweak those coilovers...

Sub 3,000 lbs with a driver?
No driver. But also no weight reduction really (coils, wheels+tires are lighter than OEM but no specific weight reduction).

I could corner balance but I'm not super concerned about it at the moment. Plenty of actual driving skills to build before I need to go down that rabbit hole.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

View attachment 217338
I skipped that one- too much work to do on the wheel nut before I attempt to go to that level again. So, how did ya do?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I skipped that one- too much work to do on the wheel nut before I attempt to go to that level again. So, how did ya do?
Event went really well. Course was really fun, fast and rewarded a good line. Pretty high speed in a few sections and rewarded commitment.

End of the first day was basically neck and neck. I drove well, clean, but still felt like I left a little time on the table and my PAX time for the day showed that (44/214). I think there were some sections where I just could've carried a bit more speed. Ideally I would have hit the ground running a little faster on my first run. My second run was dirty, so there was a little pressure on the third run to get a clean time.

Second day went much better. I had continuous improvement over all 3 runs and at the end of the third run, I felt like I had extracted more from the car than on day 1, and again the PAX time verified that (27/214).

Overall pretty happy with the setup so far. Car is really playful and controllable. I have a few changes to make near term (finally install those offset bushings, some maintenance stuff, etc). Probably late July/early August I'll get the 255/235 setup installed and I'm sure that will be good for a little more speed as well. Mostly just cramming my schedule with events to keep the seat time up.

Last edited:

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Brad drove awesome last weekend. He kept the pressure on for sure. I was mad pretty mad that I drove off the damn runway on my last run but I don't know if I could have beaten his time anyway. I don't think I've ever been that high in pax at a National event. Congratulations @bfury5 , it was awesome meeting you.

My car felt much more drivable this weekend, I was happy with the softer rear bar and 265s in the front. Excited that I can now be more violent on the wheel without oversteer happening super early in the turn. The updated tune has made the gas pedal usable again. We'll see if that was site specific... the speeds of the FLR course were really good for the GTIs.

Here are my videos.
Day 1

Day 2 - dirty (2nd run)

Day 2 - grass (3rd run)

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The machine said -3.6. Car is definitely more pushy with the softer rear but I think much easier to drive overall. It was pretty different Saturday to Sunday but it rained a lot Saturday night.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The machine said -3.6. Car is definitely more pushy with the softer rear but I think much easier to drive overall. It was pretty different Saturday to Sunday but it rained a lot Saturday night.
What is your front spring rate, bar, and tire pressures? Any front toe out?