GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's nuts that we're debating stagger as a tuning tool. It is. If you read the track threads, guys are having luck with stagger and less aggressive rear toe allowing them to be more aggressive on corner entry.

Last edited:

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
For those of you running high rear spring rates... assuming you're using relatively short springs, are you using helper springs? Im going through the math and working out ride heights and whatnot.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
For those of you running high rear spring rates... assuming you're using relatively short springs, are you using helper springs? Im going through the math and working out ride heights and whatnot.
No helper springs here, 7" spring length

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
No helper springs here, 7" spring length
7" was what I was coming up with... but would be loose at full droop. No silly noises/popping driving around/driveway entraces/etc?

Can you remind us of your spring rate? (and ride height :) )

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Mine are 7" too. No surprise, we both have Redshift. On the Redshift coilovers the rear damper body is threaded. So there is no slop at full droop. But overall droop length is reduced.

I'm 950 rear, I think Brad is 700.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Mine are 7" too. No surprise, we both have Redshift. On the Redshift coilovers the rear damper body is threaded. So there is no slop at full droop. But overall droop length is reduced.

I'm 950 rear, I think Brad is 700.
What he said about the threaded damper body, so spring is never loose at full droop.

I'm 850 rear right now

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Threaded damper..... so you are essentially limiting droop travel via the damper length, and therefore keeping the spring in compression at all times?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Threaded damper..... so you are essentially limiting droop travel via the damper length, and therefore keeping the spring in compression at all times?
Yeah that's correct. The threaded damper acts to provide preload to the spring

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Interesting. How much droop travel do you get from ride height? If it was extreme, seems like you could get some weird transitional effects in slaloms and whatnot.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Interesting. How much droop travel do you get from ride height? If it was extreme, seems like you could get some weird transitional effects in slaloms and whatnot.
I have no clue on actual droop, I haven't measured. I can check next time I jack the car up

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Primarily DD, 1-2 autox a month, right now no HPDE but hoping to do a couple a year starting next year.

My build in general is going for dual use. I'm not strictly STU spec so not trying to make nationals of anything, but I want a build that will be fun and engaging to drive at autox and not have me 4 seconds back or fighting the car without punishing me for DD.

Mods now are stg1, css knuckles, neuspeed rsb, superpro fsb, rs3 LCA bushings, and strut braces. 17x9" wheels coming for autox/hpde duty. Settled on Ohlins over redshift or similar as they seem to be the same balance of comfort and performance.

You're already in XS because of the knuckles. For just DD, maybe a track day and not "Competitive with the a capital C"... I think the Ohlins are overkill. I'm not saying they aren't great, but that's a lot of money to drop, where there's other options that meet those needs. Certainly there will be compromises, like less ability to go stiff on the springs, hard to access damper adjusters, etc. If you just want some pimp dampers, go for it and enjoy.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
You're already in XS because of the knuckles. For just DD, maybe a track day and not "Competitive with the a capital C"... I think the Ohlins are overkill. I'm not saying they aren't great, but that's a lot of money to drop, where there's other options that meet those needs. Certainly there will be compromises, like less ability to go stiff on the springs, hard to access damper adjusters, etc. If you just want some pimp dampers, go for it and enjoy.
Yeah if I ever get serious about it I'll swap out the knuckles and install camber plates. Don't think anybody will care locally as long as I don't have both.

I'm not so concerned about the cost as much as getting the best compromise between performance and comfort even if it costs a bit more (hence the knuckles instead of camber plates).

At least until I realize I should sell my R for like $3k less than I got it for 30k miles and 4 years ago and get something new to run in a street class instead of dumping more money into it :p ...

bfury5

Autocross Champion
At least until I realize I should sell my R for like $3k less than I got it for 30k miles and 4 years ago and get something new to run in a street class instead of dumping more money into it :p ...
But... where's the fun (and self-hatred for throwing all your money into a bottomless pit) in that??

bfury5

Autocross Champion
7" was what I was coming up with... but would be loose at full droop. No silly noises/popping driving around/driveway entraces/etc?

Can you remind us of your spring rate? (and ride height :) )
I'm at ~25 1/4" front and ~25 5/8" rear FTG. That's with my 235/45R17 street tires.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A buddy just bought an R to autocross after driving my car at last event. It must have been made a good impression.

I can't wait to drive it in anger.