GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Are we though? A few things at play here, as you know:
* Front roll center is lower than the rear so there is more roll in the front
* Front tires have significantly more load so we would expect the front tires will have a harder time keeping up with centripetal force due to tire loading
* Rear camber curve is not the front camber curve

Basically, from your modeling, do you think 2 deg camber in the rear can be a grip limiter IF front is only set to 2 deg and spring rates/roll rates are something reasonable?

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The less rear camber you have, the faster the oversteer breakaway will be (if you can get oversteer).

Understeer = front slip angle > rear slip angle
Oversteer = front slip angle < rear slip angle
More rear toe out = more rear slip angle

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I don't know this for sure because I have not run the setup but I am going to put this out there as a hypothetical. Lets say you are doing high-G high-speed braking. The rear tires have less grip because of the negative camber and the suspension is going toe-out on its own (more so if you have compliance bushings). It seems like the combination of negative camber and toe-out here could make the car progressively more twitchy as you drive the car into the apex.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I originally set my rear camber based on tire wear. At -1.9 I've had even wear across the the tread

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I don't know this for sure because I have not run the setup but I am going to put this out there as a hypothetical. Lets say you are doing high-G high-speed braking. The rear tires have less grip because of the negative camber and the suspension is going toe-out on its own (more so if you have compliance bushings). It seems like the combination of negative camber and toe-out here could make the car progressively more twitchy as you drive the car into the apex.
I don't know your track experience, I apologize if I'm talking down to you.

If you are newish: you want to error on the side of an understeering setup. Yes, it feels bad in slow corners, but you don't want to be surprised in the fast corners. I suggest running a healthy amount of rear camber (meaning more negative). Not crashing is more important than lap times.

If you are comfortable on track, I'm saying it's probably safer to balance your handling by incrementally increasing rear toe out. Don't go straight to .25". If you get yourself into a comfy place using toe, the breakaway will be slower than if you do it by decreasing camber. Snap oversteer is no good.

For autocross and street use, .25" rear toe out is no problem, send it.

In the words of Andy Hollis,
"So how do we make the car stop understeering? One way, is to decamber the rear, as you have been doing lately. But that is a fairly sudden breakaway, and actually doesn't make the car any faster (it just feels better than "riding out the push"). Here's another key point: Under steer is when the slip angle of the front tires is larger than the rear tires. One way to open up the effective slip angle of the rear tires (reducing understeer) is through toe-out in the rear. This "steers" the rear tire to a larger arc than it would otherwise be at."

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Well, the printer was broken 😠 so no printout, and he did another car after mine... Sigh.

He dialed in a bit more rear toe in than I wanted (factory spec toe in) but front was zeroed out, -2.1 degree camber each side front, -1.8 rear. I'll take it. Might play with toe a bit depending on understeer/oversteer behavior.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Well, the printer was broken 😠 so no printout, and he did another car after mine... Sigh.

He dialed in a bit more rear toe in than I wanted (factory spec toe in) but front was zeroed out, -2.1 degree camber each side front, -1.8 rear. I'll take it. Might play with toe a bit depending on understeer/oversteer behavior.
With that toe in, you will understeer, no two ways about it.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Good plan of attack. It's a solid starting point to make changes from

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Finally got everything buttoned up. Alignment tomorrow. R not GTI if that matters.

Assuming I'm at -2 camber front (hopefully!) I'm thinking -1.6-1.7 rear camber, zero toe front, slight (1/32") toe in rear to start, then maybe play games with rear toe later?
Start with at least 0 rear toe and go from there. -1.5 rear camber.

Just saw you already got it done.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
those of you who set rear toe out for AX, do you set it back afterwards?

if so, would love to hear about an accurate, repeatable process. thanks

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

As far as repeatable, you can mark the bolt at both locations once you figure out where it goes. But a string box is definitely the most accurate way to go.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

I had the shop mark where zero was, but I've never moved it from .25" out. I just drive around with rear toe. Front too.