GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
No thanks. I turned stability control off for a reason :)
I think it's more accurate to say you turned TCS off because the OE system is poor enough that a human can be better. The COBB stuff pull ignition waaaay faster than the OE system. The Kuehl's multi-time national champion SMF car had the Hondata TCS, which works the same I'm pretty sure, and I remember him talking about how much of a game changer it was.

I'm not sure what everyone's tune situation is, it's possible this is active and they don't know it, especially if using an Accessport.

I have APR stage 1 high torque. I still don't know how much of a problem I have because I'm yet to drive on high grip in warm temperatures, but even on my last run in ~60 ambient on asphalt I cannot go full throttle without getting kicked off my line. Is that what everyone is dealing with?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I live in Florida, so I'm not sure what this cold tire phenomenon you speak of if, but same issue with heat cycled out tires. No issue with fresh rubber.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I live in Florida, so I'm not sure what this cold tire phenomenon you speak of if, but same issue with heat cycled out tires. No issue with fresh rubber.
I can't find the thread right now but I'm almost positive that I found a post from Ed at EQT saying he has this active on almost all of his tunes...Maybe your signature is old but if you still have an EQT tune, I bet this is enabled.

Found it
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/eqt-e-tuning-q-a.361928/post-7272925

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
To clarify, I realize that at some level, TC on a car with more power than the grip conditions allow may be faster with a good TC system, but I turned ECS fully off because the ECU would still pull power for stability reasons.

I’m not opposed to a tire-spin torque-limit only system though.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I’m not opposed to a tire-spin torque-limit only system though.
I'm pretty sure that's what this COBB system is, and so far I have that problem. Anyone else?

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's both fronts breaking free under throttle. Alignment is -3.6* and .125" toe out. I have VCDS, I do have the Torque limiter off. I did that before autocross so I guess I could play with that, kind of forgot about this. XDS is off.

This one:
Torque limiter off
ABS -> Adaptions -> Starting Vibration Control -> Disable (old setting: Strong)

Edit: after some more research, it seems like that mod could be my issue. hahaha, oops. I turned that off chasing an issue I have sometimes on the highway and forgot.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I have similar on-throttle massive push if I'm on the throttle too early in a sweeper. I chalked it up to no-lsd, and I'm learning how to carry more speed through the corner to compensate

I have everything possible turned off, I found that with certain things on if you accidentally induce tire spin push it will shut things down and cost more time than dealing with a small amount of slip and correcting.

Also for reference I'm on stock tune, so I can only imagine it's worse when tuned

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have everything possible turned off, I found that with certain things on if you accidentally induce tire spin push it will shut things down and cost more time than dealing with a small amount of slip and correcting.
Did you try all the torque limiter settings?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Did you try all the torque limiter settings?
I didn't try all of them, once I found out they could be turned off I went that route. That's just personal preference though, as the only variable now is my right foot and not if/when and to what degree any sort of limiter intervenes. I probably made it more difficult for myself but I preferred the single pronged approach

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Finally got everything buttoned up. Alignment tomorrow. R not GTI if that matters.

Assuming I'm at -2 camber front (hopefully!) I'm thinking -1.6-1.7 rear camber, zero toe front, slight (1/32") toe in rear to start, then maybe play games with rear toe later?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Finally got everything buttoned up. Alignment tomorrow. R not GTI if that matters.

Assuming I'm at -2 camber front (hopefully!) I'm thinking -1.6-1.7 rear camber, zero toe front, slight (1/32") toe in rear to start, then maybe play games with rear toe later?
For auto-x or track? What tires are you running?

I know you were installing CSS swivels and if I recall correctly a fixed camber plate.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
For auto-x or track? What tires are you running?

I know you were installing CSS swivels and if I recall correctly a fixed camber plate.
Autox/street use. May run some hpde as well but not til fall at least.

CSS knuckles, no camber plates. Golf R stock has roughly a degree of negative camber. Did some rudimentary measurements last night and looks like I'm roughly 1.9 deg neg camber now.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Autox/street use. May run some hpde as well but not til fall at least.

CSS knuckles, no camber plates. Golf R stock has roughly a degree of negative camber. Did some rudimentary measurements last night and looks like I'm roughly 1.9 deg neg camber now.
I’d run same camber front to rear in your situation and then run 1/4 inch total rear toe out, instead of less rear camber.