GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm going to drop the spring rates, the ride is killing me and the shocks can't keep up.

I remeasured the suspension with all the changes, and it looks like I 600/900 gives me 1.92/2.10hz ratio. 750/1000 is 2.14/2.21hz.

Last edited:

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm going to drop the spring rates, the ride is killing me and the shocks can't keep up.

I remeasured the suspension with all the changes, and it looks like I 600/900 gives me 1.92/2.10hz ratio. 750/1000 is 2.14/2.21hz.

What software are you running now? One of the free ones still or did you upgrade?

If it's not a free one, miindplugging in 70N/mm and 90N/mm in there? Bonus if you throw golf R weights in there. Curious where I'm going to end up.

Reactions: q74

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

I may have over reacted.

I changed out my 225/45/17 snow tires for 235/40/18 Indy 500 on Austins.

I think the soft side wall of the snow tires contributed to the bouncy ness of the car.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
What software are you running now? One of the free ones still or did you upgrade?

If it's not a free one, miindplugging in 70N/mm and 90N/mm in there? Bonus if you throw golf R weights in there. Curious where I'm going to end up.
I did upgrade, but right now using an excel spreadsheet for these calculations, It's not exact.

Using a curb weight +driver of 3528 with 56/44 % weight distribution, and using my suspension and your springs gives 1.60/1.43Hz ride frequencies.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I may have over reacted.

I changed out my 225/45/17 snow tires for 235/40/18 Indy 500 on Austins.

I think the soft side wall of the snow tires contributed to the bouncy ness of the car.
That will do it.
I also found that the concrete highway between Charlotte and Asheville would make my Mini bounce. Stiff springs and short wheel base.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I did upgrade, but right now using an excel spreadsheet for these calculations, It's not exact.

Using a curb weight +driver of 3528 with 56/44 % weight distribution, and using my suspension and your springs gives 1.60/1.43Hz ride frequencies.
Thanks! Sounds like I should see if 100 or 110s in the rear require a revalve or not. Would like to at least be even on the frequency if not a bit higher in the rear.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Rear 900 springs in, feels better, but the fronts are still 750, so not a good combo, too stiff. 600's on standby for install Thursday.

Also put the car on a mustang dyno and had some issues.

I put the car in "dyno mode" using OBDeleven and could not keep the car in 3rd gear using manual mode. Tried 4th and overheated the coolant. I probably have air in the line from when I installed the external coolant temp sensor.

Then on the drive home, after turning off dyno mode, was able to keep the car in 3rd. So, don't use dyno mode. Lesson learned.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

That's...stiff...

I guess it makes sense for a ST car, and probably a reason I don't want to have a ST car...lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm debating just installing the konis sitting in the garage right now or going with a set of redshift coilovers, but doing something like 400/600.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What size are the rear springs on our car, 8” by 2.5”? Considering stiffer rear springs. Thinking 8k to match front?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm debating just installing the konis sitting in the garage right now or going with a set of redshift coilovers, but doing something like 400/600.
My redshift coils with 450/800 were pretty livable, my guess is 400/600 would be a really good dual use setup.

What size are the rear springs on our car, 8” by 2.5”? Considering stiffer rear springs. Thinking 8k to match front?

Are you talking OEM or for aftermarket coils?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My redshift coils with 450/800 were pretty livable, my guess is 400/600 would be a really good dual use setup.

Maybe even 350/600 or 400/650 if I move down to an adjustable 24mm rsb from the 26mm.

Tough choice.

My cheap plan was to install the konis and use a 7 inch 400 lbs spring in the rear with the BC adjustable perch. I'm honestly all over the place because I don't want to end up with a racecar again, which I'll hate on the street and end to selling again.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I’m dumb and forgot I had aftermarket suspension for a minute. Need to do some research and see what size EQT uses. I know spring rate is 8k front 5k rear.