GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
With the 5 mm spacer, you should be able to max the rear camber to get the tire under the fender better.
Isn't this going to make my fuel neck issue worse though?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd think less neg camber and less spacer would be preferable to larger spacer and more camber.

It's just something that you have to play around until you find the best fit.

I'd also rather have a slight rub on the fender, especially if I was getting ready to increase spring rate anyway, then a slight rub on the filler neck. That seems like a bad situation waiting to happen, but maybe can put some type of protection on the filler neck so that if you do get a little rub, it won't damage it..

I'd get those new rear springs installed then try to adjust camber and ride height to avoid both. It'll be interesting to hear where that actually ends up being.

I'm thinking my 255 40 17 RE71R's, with a smaller diameter and 17 x 8.5 +45 should fit without issue. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
The Falken 660s run really wide according to everything I've seen and heard. The purpose of my post was to let people know that a 255 35 18 Falken is pretty much OK and that I personally wouldn't attempt running the 265 in the rear. The rubbing isn't bad and only happens when I go over speedbumps. The rates are going up back there soon anyway...
Begs the question if 255/40 front and 235/45 rear might be an option. On a 17" that gives the same OD front to back. Could probably compensate the less rear grip by dialing out some of the rear toe to calm the car down and still keep the car balanced.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Plop
PXL_20210303_191818653.jpg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I take back what I said earlier about my setup not rubbing. Went on a spirited drive tonight and it runs on hard left hand turns (maybe 70-80% track speed). Ordering 3mm spacers tonight. Also will increase rear damping, I have it on a fairly soft setting at the moment.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I take back what I said earlier about my setup not rubbing. Went on a spirited drive tonight and it runs on hard left hand turns (maybe 70-80% track speed). Ordering 3mm spacers tonight. Also will increase rear damping, I have it on a fairly soft setting at the moment.
Shocks won't help in steady state turns, as they are a timing device, not a body roll limiting spring.

What's your spring rates?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
650F/950R
What rear bar?

And please let us know how it feels, what you end up with alignment wise and alignment you end up with. Also, how it rides on street. I still DD mine.

I'm also planning on that same setup, I'm just trying to figure out what rates I want.