GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Do you know where I could find the part number?

This is the latest afaik... But it's also possibly only fitment on the R, not the GTI. I THINK it will fit but VW/Audi claims it doesn't. 06K103495BM

I have heard that 06K103495BL might be better for oil surge... But nothing definitive there.

Available from FCP though, which is nice!

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
The one ending in BL is what you want but not everyone has luck with it

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Welp, I've gone and done something expensive but hopefully smart, if *technically* illegal for STH/STU (but let's face it, I'm not going to nats any time soon)
Clubsport S knuckles have been ordered! Hoping this gets me to 2 deg negative camber on the R with as little NVH compromise as possible.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Welp, I've gone and done something expensive but hopefully smart, if *technically* illegal for STH/STU (but let's face it, I'm not going to nats any time soon)
Clubsport S knuckles have been ordered! Hoping this gets me to 2 deg negative camber on the R with as little NVH compromise as possible.

As long as you don't show up with -3.5, no one will notice or care.

I think they should just set a maximum neg camber value in the rules and let you get it however you can as long as using factory suspension mounting points.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
As long as you don't show up with -3.5, no one will notice or care.

I think they should just set a maximum neg camber value in the rules and let you get it however you can as long as using factory suspension mounting points.

Completely agree. The way the rules are written makes it incredibly frustrating. Set limits on camber, caster, and maybe track width based on deviation from factory values. Fix the mounting points on the chassis/frame side (no modifications to the holes). Keep the bushing type restriction in place (no sphericals in place of rubber) The rest will shake out. This is also a hell of a lot easier to review the challenges - just measure the alignment and do a quick visual inspection, instead of tearing things apart looking for small part number differences or post machining.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Got the X-force exhaust in the mail today.

Installed with the optional resonator, and it's too quiet, even with the valve open.

Pretty easy install, using jacks.

I'll put the straight-pipe center-section in tomorrow and see how much louder it gets.
IMG_3276.JPEG

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Completely agree. The way the rules are written makes it incredibly frustrating. Set limits on camber, caster, and maybe track width based on deviation from factory values. Fix the mounting points on the chassis/frame side (no modifications to the holes). Keep the bushing type restriction in place (no sphericals in place of rubber) The rest will shake out. This is also a hell of a lot easier to review the challenges - just measure the alignment and do a quick visual inspection, instead of tearing things apart looking for small part number differences or post machining.
Setting limits and then verifying is a PITA, but I share your frustration.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Got the X-force exhaust in the mail today.

Installed with the optional resonator, and it's too quiet, even with the valve open.

Pretty easy install, using jacks.

I'll put the straight-pipe center-section in tomorrow and see how much louder it gets.
View attachment 178436

Looks great! Did you get the version with the Varex muffler? Any noticeable performance improvements (other than the obvious weight loss)?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Looks great! Did you get the version with the Varex muffler? Any noticeable performance improvements (other than the obvious weight loss)?
Yes, with the varex muffler.

TBH, I took just took off the center section and it's still pretty mild. Which is fine, I didn't want a too loud exhaust.

IMG_3281.JPEG
IMG_3280.JPEG
IMG_3279.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPEG
    IMG_3278.JPEG
    752.6 KB · Views: 349

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Ok, so fast autocross course today at a race track with high grip asphalt, which I've run similar courses there in GS without issue, but today I got me first cloud of oil smoke under trail braking.

So, I don't have 500+ in the car budget for a catch can and blocking plate. Would just a universal can work if I empty it frequently at the track? I have Daytona coming up end of July.

And I was under the impression it would throw a little smoke, but be otherwise not noticed. Car started to sputter and buck and ruined my fastest run, because I got out of the throtte and coasted through the last little slalom. Then it stumbled off the line and a few times through first half the next run before clearing up. No CEL, which I'm surprised, with how poorly it was running.

Car still a little tight, time to reduce rear toe.

Here's the response I got from a post on facebook I made about a week ago...

"So the 19 audi s3 has the updated plate. All vw ones have a dump return that allows lots of oil to be dumped and burnt. You need to order 06K103495BL. I just installed it and no longer get the smoke show. You need to search by partnumber on ecs or shopdap to find it, it's kinda a hidden gem."

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

"So the 19 audi s3 has the updated plate. All vw ones have a dump return that allows lots of oil to be dumped and burnt. You need to order 06K103495BL. I just installed it and no longer get the smoke show. You need to search by partnumber on ecs or shopdap to find it, it's kinda a hidden gem."

Just checked DAP- $115 plus tax & shipping. Sounds like a bargain. Does it plumb up like the OEM part?
Thanks!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

To be clear, and I think the OP is aware, this is probably considered an update/backdate and is not allowed.

It could be allowed if:
"Update parts, replacement parts, or any other changes by the manufacturer documented in the parts catalog or other manufacturer documentation as superseding the original part number used when manufactured are considered to be standard parts."

However:
"Alternate parts (parts that may fit due to common platforms) listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model and/or option package."

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
To be clear, and I think the OP is aware, this is probably considered an update/backdate and is not allowed.

It could be allowed if:
"Update parts, replacement parts, or any other changes by the manufacturer documented in the parts catalog or other manufacturer documentation as superseding the original part number used when manufactured are considered to be standard parts."

However:
"Alternate parts (parts that may fit due to common platforms) listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model and/or option package."

Good point. Here's the supercession list from VW parts:
Part Number: 06K103495BL
Supersession(s): 06K103495AF; 06K103495AS; 06K103495T; 6K103495BL

And specifically lists 2019 Golf R. This means am earlier Mk7 R is probably ok to change.

This kills it for the GTI though:

14.10 C The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be
modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor,
compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The exist-
ing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of duct-
ing from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for
mounting. Emissions or engine management components in the air
intake system, such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may not be
removed, modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function
along the flow path.

Last edited:

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Good point. Here's the supercession list from VW parts:
Part Number: 06K103495BL
Supersession(s): 06K103495AF; 06K103495AS; 06K103495T; 6K103495BL

And specifically lists 2019 Golf R. This means am earlier Mk7 R is probably ok to change.

This kills it for the GTI though:
Depending on the part number, if it's on a supersession list, then I would say it's not a replacement within that context, but repair.

The wording is werid but I belive by "replacement" they are referring to things like the catch can kit pcv plates. I don't seriously think the rules suggest running a broken/faulty/known bad plate.

That rule does basically ban almost all functional catch cans though.