GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

I want to track the car more, but hate to leave GS. On Saturday, 2nd in pax to an SS R35 GTR, 3rd raw to same car and an SS GT4. It's just so good stock.

Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It is a DSG car. non-PP. He has a wavetrac now though. The car is basically running APR Stage 2 setup.
I ran a non PP 2018 all last year. Without a diff, the front brakes COOK the tires.

First event in PP car and it was amazing to not melt the front tires.

Smart of him to install LSD. For autocross, I'll say the smaller brakes are easier to modulate and don't give up much in stopping power during a 60 sec run.

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Competed over the weekend.

Day 1 had sticker tires, was two seconds back.

Day 2, tires worn in, and took the lead. Second place designed the course.

Had some odd tire wear that proves I have either too much rear tire, or not enough rear camber, or some combination of both.

Tires are set up as if you are looking from the rear of the car.

The rear tires only have wear on the outside half of the tire.

4th in PAX overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Be very careful running that wide of a track width on the rear, I run 265 Nankang AR1's and just crunched my rear fender from bottoming out. -2 degree camber in rear as well as raised ride height. RIP.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Be very careful running that wide of a track width on the rear, I run 265 Nankang AR1's and just crunched my rear fender from bottoming out. -2 degree camber in rear as well as raised ride height. RIP.

I’m at stock ride height and -.8 degrees of camber.

The fender is a concern, but so far so good.

I already plan on moving to a 18x8 and 235/40/18 for the rear, next season.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I'm not a fan of spacers.

What's the biggest tire wheel combo I can do without spacers with a mk7? I have no problem rolling fenders or clearancing liners, but don't want to use spacers or lose a ton of ability to adjust alignment.

I’m running 255-35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as my daily and wet weather track tire. No rubbing issues. I’m still running stock suspension for reference. Neuspeed RSE10 18x8.5 et 45. And I’m also running SuperPro’s LCA 018k and 034 Motorsport fixed camber plates. -2 degrees front camber.

Cliff is running 255-35-18’s Direzza Z3’s which I believe runs a little wider than the Michelins on a 9” wide Neuspeed. The wheel model escapes my memory right now. Same et45.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
And I am about to buy a set of 265/35R18 RE71R tires to go on my 18x9et45 RSe10 wheels (my other set of 18x9 wheels are RSe11R). That is the maximum size tire allowed for AWD cars in STU, and for STH. The shop installing my Ohlins next month will use those tires to gauge the appropriate ride height for the suspension.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I’m running 255-35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as my daily and wet weather track tire. No rubbing issues. I’m still running stock suspension for reference. Neuspeed RSE10 18x8.5 et 45. And I’m also running SuperPro’s LCA 018k and 034 Motorsport fixed camber plates. -2 degrees front camber.

Cliff is running 255-35-18’s Direzza Z3’s which I believe runs a little wider than the Michelins on a 9” wide Neuspeed. The wheel model escapes my memory right now. Same et45.

How are you all dealing with the passenger side filler neck getting in the way of the rear wheel?

Liners with self clearance, so not a big deal.

I wonder why there's such a big variation in clearance among posters? I'd assume different offsets and differences in actual tire width from tire to tire.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
TBH it's not the front you need to be concerned about unless running more than stock caster, you can fit 265 and daresay 275 with the right camber. I rub a little at full lock with 265 on -2.5 (034 plates) but you can get more with Vorshlag etc. Tempted to do reverse stagger.