GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is not correct. If you have an R your option is to replace the Haldax(?) With something else...which I'm not sure if that's possible. You can add a diff to an AWD car if it doesn't have any OEM diff. That is not the case for the R as I understand. This has been protested and ruled on so I'm pretty confident.
I agree, but I disagree with the ruling. I understand the ruling, just don't agree with it.

Better idea is just send the AWD cars to STU or STX.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I agree, but I disagree with the ruling. I understand the ruling, just don't agree with it.

Better idea is just send the AWD cars to STU or STX.

Mk7 Golf R is STU. So, I'm substituting 1 did (front) with a mechanical LSD.

In theory, of course. Not that my car is technically ST legal anyway at this point thanks to the clubsport s knuckles (although I doubt that would be a problem locally)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mk7 Golf R is STU. So, I'm substituting 1 did (front) with a mechanical LSD.

In theory, of course. Not that my car is technically ST legal anyway at this point thanks to the clubsport s knuckles (although I doubt that would be a problem locally)
The mk6 R is in STH though.

I still don't agree with the ruling and still think AWD cars should be in STX and STU, not STH.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
My previous statement was incorrect. The diff rules are the same for STU, STX, and STH. If an AWD car comes with a diff, you can't change any hardware in any of the classes.

2. STU, STR, STX, and STH classes: Only standard (as defined in Section 12) limited slip differentials (LSD) are allowed on AWD vehicles.

I'm not sure what you didn't like about the ruling. The Golf R has a part that does the same thing that a diff does, so they called it a diff. And you can't add or change hardware on an ST AWD car.
I'm just not seeing that in the 2021 rules - here's the entire LSD section. Rules are different for STU and STH, and it specifically calls our the use of aftermarket mechanical LSDs. Do you have a link to the ruling?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-155631.png
    Screenshot_20210221-155631.png
    529.9 KB · Views: 75

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Dang it! I think I may be hurting this discussion more than helping. I forgot about the new update for 2021. So it turns out what I said the first time was kind of right. I'll edit and delete my posts accordingly.

With the 2021 rules, and AWD STU car (Golf R) would be able to substitute the haldex for another differential. As I said the first time, I'm not sure that's possible. My interpretation is that you can't substitute the open diff in the trans case for an aftermarket diff. That's not substitution, it's addition. The ruling on the Golf R w/ aftermarket diff can be found at the end of the published 2019 Solo Nationals results.

It's kind of interesting that the old rule had a provision for an AWD car with all three differential positions open and the new rule doesn't. To go back to the protest, the competitor basically thought the MK6 Golf R fell into that situation. He contentended that the Golf R had no LSD and because of that he could add one. But they ruled the haldex is an LSD. I agree with the ruling, but also don't care what anyone on this forum does to their car. I just suggest being open about things. But still it's interesting because the rule that was broken in the protest is now changed. Personally, I think the ruling would be the same if a front diff was to be added to an MK7 Golf R in STU with the 2021 rules.

2021 STH AWD rules say you can't do anything to the diff. You can't substitute or tune.

Last edited:

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Would certainly need some arguing with the rules committee. Not that it matters for me, but I would lean on the fact that the rule says "may substitute one differential" - it doesn't say "may substitute one limited slip differential". Open difs are still difs :)

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Well well well, looks like I'm wrong again. I talked to a couple STAC people for clarification. In the STU case, the new rules was meant to allow AWD cars to add an LSD. They did that because the 2WD cars got a bump in tire size.

STH AWD cars still can't do anything to their diffs.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
255 35 18 Falken RT660 on 18x9 +45, 5mm spacer on rear. It pokes a little and rubs a little over speedbumps, but overall I'd say it fits.
PXL_20210301_221123742.MP.jpg

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Fuel neck.
How bad were you hitting it? I'm going to be installing 255 40 17 RE71R'S on 17 x 8.5 +45. Currently on sane wheel and tire at 245 40 17 with no issue at all.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I just installed pretty much exactly the same setup 255/35/18 Nexens on 18x9 ET45 RSe11Rs with no spacers and haven’t rubbed yet. What conditions caused you to rub? I may add 3mm spacer just to be safe.
5647EDC3-FFB0-4975-8ADF-F99B35CD7264.jpeg

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The Falken 660s run really wide according to everything I've seen and heard. The purpose of my post was to let people know that a 255 35 18 Falken is pretty much OK and that I personally wouldn't attempt running the 265 in the rear. The rubbing isn't bad and only happens when I go over speedbumps. The rates are going up back there soon anyway...