GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Anybody know somebody running Nankang CR-1s yet? Seem like an interesting option (although not quite where they need to be yet in terms of production sizes to be SCCA legal this year)

Relevant sizes:

In stock now
- 255/40/17
(price is roughly $205/corner)

ETA: April / May
- 245/40/17

- 265/35/18 ($269/corner if you can squeeze them in there)

ETA: August / September
- 235/40/18
- 245/40/18
- 255/35/18

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've seen Lugod say they were about as good as A052s on a Miata, and that they were camber dependent like the A052. They are supposed to "handle heat" better than the A052 but that's not a problem that I've experienced.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The RE71rs, for me and my setup at Lincoln, grip fell off due to heat rather quickly, higher pressures was better but as the pressure increased the steering feel became vague. With two drivers it was very difficult to keep the tires cooled between drivers, often times at local events we'd tell grid to come back.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Anybody know somebody running Nankang CR-1s yet? Seem like an interesting option (although not quite where they need to be yet in terms of production sizes to be SCCA legal this year)

Relevant sizes:

In stock now
- 255/40/17
(price is roughly $205/corner)

ETA: April / May
- 245/40/17

- 265/35/18 ($269/corner if you can squeeze them in there)

ETA: August / September
- 235/40/18
- 245/40/18
- 255/35/18
A guy I know who has a ton of track experience and is a coach recently did a test session with the CR1s and gave a positive review of them. I think for the price they could definitely be an alternative to A052s.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Car got aligned today. As well as the rear toe being off, rear camber was way out of wack. When it left the rack last time, it was -1.8 camber in the rear. When they put it on the rack today, one side was -1.4 other side was -2.3.

That seems really weird to me. What are the chances he didn't tighten everything up in the rear causing that drift?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Car got aligned today. As well as the rear toe being off, rear camber was way out of wack. When it left the rack last time, it was -1.8 camber in the rear. When they put it on the rack today, one side was -1.4 other side was -2.3.

That seems really weird to me. What are the chances he didn't tighten everything up in the rear causing that drift?
Rear subframe shift?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rear subframe shift?
Hmmmm, do I need to check to see if something is loose? I did have a big spin and heard what sounded like end links banging.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hmmmm, do I need to check to see if something is loose? I did have a big spin and heard what sounded like end links banging.
I'm with @jmblur. I just ran a quick calculation- the average of your recent camber readings is -1.85 degrees. It appears that both sides may have shifted an equal amount; that fingers the rear subframe shifting.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How do I fix it?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
How do I fix it?
You should be able to look for witness marks to see if this is the case. If it is, recentering it and putting in new bolts is the factory, ST legal fix. A deadset kit will keep it from shifting again but would count as a subframe spacer so that's verboten (even though it's probably a net negative for roll center, but I digress).

There's an OEM pin tool for alignment, but it's meant to keep the subframe where it was before, not where it's actually centered.

Mark bolt locations and subframe mount locations to chassis with a paint pen so it's obvious if it shifts again and hopefully easier to align.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you get the camber you want in the rear, don't bother with the deadset kit, which is not legal in ST anyway.

Adjustable upper arms are an
If the alignment is good where it is right now, can I just retirement the subframe bolts?