GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It does fit and car is running fine without any CEL's. Fitted it this morning. It takes 15 min to swap. If I decide to run a national event, I can swap it back. No one locally will care in the least.

Good news- thanks! Please keep us advise as to how it works. I did notice in your sig line that you have a 2019 Rabbit. My research indicated that there were differences in the part numbers between the 2018 and earlier Mk. 7's and the 2019 and later Mk. 7.5's, so I'm not surprised that the part installed without any issues. I'm concerned with the fit of this part on the 2018 and earlier cars. Has anyone verified this yet?

Did the plumbing connect to the replacement like the original?

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Good news- thanks! Please keep us advise as to how it works.

Did the plumbing connect to the replacement like the original?

Yep, exactly same connections and gasket shape, so looks all good.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Ran my first timed event here in the northeast today, car feels great so far. Turn-in could be a touch better, but I'm planning to max out my camber plates and drill holes to access the adjuster. That should give me around 2.6-2.7 front camber I'm guessing. I currently have 0 toe both front and rear. Grip through transitions and slaloms is massive. If I can't get the rear to rotate anymore, I might think about adding some rear spring (change from 14k to 16k maybe).

IMG_20200531_143433.jpg

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Ran my first timed event here in the northeast today, car feels great so far. Turn-in could be a touch better, but I'm planning to max out my camber plates and drill holes to access the adjuster. That should give me around 2.6-2.7 front camber I'm guessing. I currently have 0 toe both front and rear. Grip through transitions and slaloms is massive. If I can't get the rear to rotate anymore, I might think about adding some rear spring (change from 14k to 16k maybe).

View attachment 178775

Nice! What event did you run? I'm running my first of the year next weekend (and first real timed event)

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I ran with BMWCCA today, got beat-up on by the STR miatas, but was within striking distance to some STS cars. I *should* be running NER next weekend

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I ran with BMWCCA today, got beat-up on by the STR miatas, but was within striking distance to some STS cars. I *should* be running NER next weekend
Nice, I hope to run some BMW events later this year. Despite running both of their "learn to autox" events last year (that equal a ton more seat time than normal events), that I still counted as a first timer so wasn't eligible for this weekend's event. Wasn't thrilled with that decision but snagged the last spot in Trackclubusa.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Drilling of holes to access the adjuster is not allowed.

You will have to find another way.

I've heard of others adding washers to lower the adjuster under the tower.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hey, I was tweaking abs adaptions with OBD11 today, and since going to a conrom map, I've had to switch to an older map to get obd11 to work. I'd heard that VCDS had been fixed to work with conrom, but not obd11. Well, looks like they finally fixed it. I was able to connect and make adjustments with a conrom map installed.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hey, I was tweaking abs adaptions with OBD11 today, and since going to a conrom map, I've had to switch to an older map to get obd11 to work. I'd heard that VCDS had been fixed to work with conrom, but not obd11. Well, looks like they finally fixed it. I was able to connect and make adjustments with a conrom map installed.
Not to be Debby downer again on the rules, but Street touring has a very strict rule on messing with ABS.

14.0 under category values, 3rd bullet point, "ABS may be electronically disabled, but otherwise must remain un-altered.

I imagine most things you can do, performance wise with OBD11 and like systems, are not legal under the current rule set for Street Touring.

That's why I haven't perused the macan caliper upgrade, because the modification really requires changing the braking settings with OBD11, which I don't see as legal.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I get that. Again, locally no one cares, we've all made similar tweaks. It's easy to revert them if needed or just move to xs.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Drilling of holes to access the adjuster is not allowed.

You will have to find another way.

I've heard of others adding washers to lower the adjuster under the tower.

So, street class rules explicitly allow this.

Per section 13.5.F:

"A hole may be added to interior body panels, the engine compartment, the trunk, and/or a strut bar to provide access to the adjustment mechanism on a shock absorber. The hole may serve no other purpose and may not be added through the exterior body panels."

Now, the header for the street touring category rules states that:

"Street Touring allowances and modifications build upon existing Street category allowances."

This, to me, means that the rule of street category should also apply to street touring. Since street touring is supposed to allow more modifications, I imagine it would encompass street class rules and then add from that point.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Per section 13.5.F:

"A hole may be added to interior body panels, the engine compartment, the trunk, and/or a strut bar to provide access to the adjustment mechanism on a shock absorber. The hole may serve no other purpose and may not be added through the exterior body panels."

"Street Touring allowances and modifications build upon existing Street category allowances."

This, to me, means that the rule of street category should also apply to street touring. Since street touring is supposed to allow more modifications, I imagine it would encompass street class rules and then add from that point.

You are correct. You're allowed to drill holes for shock adjuster access.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Per section 13.5.F:

The tricky part, and what I intended to reference is 14.C

"The following allowances apply to strut-type suspension. Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform this installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may not be modified."

Since I know whereabouts the top of the shock sticks out when negative camber is applied, I assume that in order to access the adjuster, the center hole will have to be modified. If that's the case, then I argue this method of modification to the body is not allowed.

If you can drill a hole such that the center clearance hole is not modified, then you may be in luck.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

"The following allowances apply to strut-type suspension. Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform this installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may not be modified."

Since I know whereabouts the top of the shock sticks out when negative camber is applied, I assume that in order to access the adjuster, the center hole will have to be modified. If that's the case, then I argue this method of modification to the body is not allowed.

If you can drill a hole such that the center clearance hole is not modified, then you may be in luck.

Inceasing clearance and a hole for adjustment are different though. I suppose you could make a huge hole that does both provide clearance and allow adjustment, and that would be illegal, but you can drill a hole that allows access to adjustment that has no effect on the center hole.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Definitely agreed, I knew the center hole couldn't be touched. The other thing to consider is section 14.8.C:

"Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted."

In theory then, I could max out my camber plates and then slot the mounting holes to get the adjuster toward the center of the car far enough, that the hole I drill to access it does not interfere with the center clearance hole.