GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
What surface are you on when this is an issue, thats the other question to ask I guess. We get decent access to big concrete sites to run so everything is kinda bias towards that(not to mention Lincoln is also big concrete site). The few times we run on fast asphalt the car does tend to be looser than it would be...

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Interesting on the car being loose, what is your alignment like? I think we settled on the GS car with something like 1.25 or something rear camber(0 toe) and it seems to calm the car down a bit with the big rear bar. But I would not say it was really loose ever. You also don't have anything to lower the car, maybe the extra front camber made it gain more front bit than what's possible over the GS setup.

I was running -0.5 degrees of camber in the rear, which I thought I would need just because front wheel drive, but it also provided the wheel clearance to fit 18x9 rears.

Now I have 10mm spacers so I’ll try for as much rear camber as I have room between the wheel and the fuel filler pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What surface are you on when this is an issue, thats the other question to ask I guess. We get decent access to big concrete sites to run so everything is kinda bias towards that(not to mention Lincoln is also big concrete site). The few times we run on fast asphalt the car does tend to be looser than it would be...
We run on crumbling asphalt. No concrete for me. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hotchkis front bar installed today, and rear alignment was changed to change the rear camber to -0.8 from -0.5. That’s all that we can get with the wheels and a 10mm spacer.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If I am trying to find more rear grip I'd prioritize camber over track width change. As a percentage the 20mm total track increase to the weight transfer is going to be less significant than any kind of tire performance change I think. Unless you need the 10mm spacer for the clearance also...

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm not a fan of spacers.

What's the biggest tire wheel combo I can do without spacers with a mk7? I have no problem rolling fenders or clearancing liners, but don't want to use spacers or lose a ton of ability to adjust alignment.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm not a fan of spacers.

What's the biggest tire wheel combo I can do without spacers with a mk7? I have no problem rolling fenders or clearancing liners, but don't want to use spacers or lose a ton of ability to adjust alignment.

The wheel/tire forum is a better place for this question.

The wheel/tire forum is a better place for this question.

Not really. I'm planning on moving to STH.. from what I've seen, those that don't track or autocross do some stupid things to get wheel and tires combos to fit that aren't functional.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I'd appreciate knowing his setup.

Current owner:

The race wheels are 18x9 45 offset with 265/35/18 stones. It is a tight fit and is a no go up front without coil overs. I’ve also used 35 offset and 255 tires but the rear pokes too much at the 35 offset.

The street wheels on the car at Peru were 18x9 35 offset with normal street tire 255s

Camber is -2.4 rear -3.0 front rear is super duper tight at the 35 offset. 45 is much better