GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yep.

I figured it out. Just saved a copy and edited on my phone.

At least I know I'm good to 218mph. 😁

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Few more changes - gave the mph/kph a toggle so you're not looking at a bunch of extra stuff at once. Also added a second page where you can plug in 3 different RPMs to see what the relative speed is at each of them in any given gear.

1680226648532.png 1680226681351.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=110828156993139591434&rtpof=true&sd=true

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Welp...ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
What are my options here? I'm missing maybe 1/4" of camber. I'm not sure what that will end up being degree wise but I'm atleast a tiny bit salty that I can't use the whole range.
This is on my new RedShift Kit.
IMG_0851.JPG

C.
The following allowances apply to strut-type suspensions. Adjustable
camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original
upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to
perform the installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may
not be modified.

So basically nothing I can do from the sound of it.
While I could potentially drill holes to get to the camber adjustment screw the damper adjustment knob would still sit too high by like 1/8"

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What are my options here? I'm missing maybe 1/4" of camber. I'm not sure what that will end up being degree wise but I'm atleast a tiny bit salty that I can't use the whole range.
View attachment 277299

C.
not be modified.

While I could potentially drill holes to get to the camber adjustment screw the damper adjustment knob would still sit too high by like 1/8"

If you wanted, you could remove the adjuster entirely. It's essentially a hex on the bottom side. Once you have the damping set I'd consider capping it off with something (a rubber vacuum line cap should work well) to keep rocks/crud/grit from getting inside.

I had Redshifts on my last car and once I got the damping set, I never touched it again. You can make changes to balance the car, but realistically I always got what I needed out of tire pressure or driving changes.

edit: Also be weary of leaving it like you have it. As you turn the strut doesn't rotate perfectly along the tube axis... it tilts and moves around. There's a very good possibility your adjuster will swing and physically hit the strut tower as you have it now. And it will also get closer under compression (and compression + turning especially) so you need a lot of margin of error.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
If you wanted, you could remove the adjuster entirely. It's essentially a hex on the bottom side. Once you have the damping set I'd consider capping it off with something (a rubber vacuum line cap should work well) to keep rocks/crud/grit from getting inside.

I had Redshifts on my last car and once I got the damping set, I never touched it again. You can make changes to balance the car, but realistically I always got what I needed out of tire pressure or driving changes.

edit: Also be weary of leaving it like you have it. As you turn the strut doesn't rotate perfectly along the tube axis... it tilts and moves around. There's a very good possibility your adjuster will swing and physically hit the strut tower as you have it now. And it will also get closer under compression (and compression + turning especially) so you need a lot of margin of error.
Any idea what camber you were running in that setup?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
View attachment 277299

C.
not be modified.

There's also an allowance specifically to allow you to use your adjuster.

My camber plates aren't adjustable, so I trimmed to allow adjustment of my struts. But I did not need to trim to allow max camber.

Some have said my trimming is illegal. I don't believe it is, because the only purpose is to allow me to use the adjuster.

In your case, you need to trim to allow full camber, not to adjust, so I don't think that would be legal.

Can you remove those adjuster thumb wheels or are they fixed to the shaft? If so, get full camber, and maybe submit for a clarification if you'd be allowed to drill a hole to allow the adjuster.

My interpretation is that you can, if it's solely for the purpose of inserting the adjuster. Hell, they let you put holes anywhere you want for remote reservoirs.

Anyway, if someone were to protest you, throw the $5 trophy at them and tell them their mothers a whore. That's my plan.

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Any idea what camber you were running in that setup?

It was a Mazda2 so unfortunately doesn't matter. (Also I just cut the strut towers anyway because it was for track use once STF went away, I was just trying to get out of cutting the towers out of sheer laziness).

Piggybacking on the point above about accessing adjustments - one way around that is IF you can fully remove your adjusters (which SHOULD definitely possible on Redshift BC based coilovers, not sure if you have BC or the newer Standard versions and I have no experience with the latter)... adjust the camber plates for max camber without the adjuster installed, then drill a tiny hole beside the center hole specifically for getting an allen key into. Then you can also use a couple hole plugs to keep anything from getting into the internal adjuster mechanism.

You can see in this video how they look disassembled. The tip is something like a 3mm or 4mm allen that engages the internal adjuster within the shock shaft.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
It was a Mazda2 so unfortunately doesn't matter. (Also I just cut the strut towers anyway because it was for track use once STF went away, I was just trying to get out of cutting the towers out of sheer laziness).

Piggybacking on the point above about accessing adjustments - one way around that is IF you can fully remove your adjusters (which SHOULD definitely possible on Redshift BC based coilovers, not sure if you have BC or the newer Standard versions and I have no experience with the latter)... adjust the camber plates for max camber without the adjuster installed, then drill a tiny hole beside the center hole specifically for getting an allen key into. Then you can also use a couple hole plugs to keep anything from getting into the internal adjuster mechanism.

You can see in this video how they look disassembled. The tip is something like a 3mm or 4mm allen that engages the internal adjuster within the shock shaft.

The Standards are different. I've checked this morning because this seemed like a pretty solid option but its just a bigger knob to cover a smaller one.

And even just a short drive around the neighborhood yesterday and I've already made contact. :cautious:
The first picture is the passenger side which is more centered and might have "just" barely made contact. Maybe? if I take the knob off on this one it will not make contact.

For the passenger side - my completely unscientific measuring method - which is an angle cube that goes out to the the hundredths says I'm right around -1.8 or -1.9 at static height. ( I haven't had an alignment done yet.

Even with the knob off I couldn't get to full camber and still have room to make a full "new" access hole. Or it would be super close anyways.

Is there an option to space the camber plates down?
With the knob off it would need maybe 1/4"? Which seems like a lot, and I'm not sure if that's enough clearance. I'm sure the adjuster travel up and down at least a little?

The faq sheet/information sheet they send specifically calls out not messing with the smaller knob. It's about 1/4" tall? I might email Chris to see if it actually sealing something or they're just worried about dirt like the BCs.
With that out it would fit right under the shock hat/body.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
What about spacers or shims? Theres quite a bit of thread left on the bolts.

Enough to shim the plate down and maybe get the clearance needed.

I don’t see anything that seems to indicate this isn’t allowed. Whether it works or is allowed is a whole other thing.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What about spacers or shims? Theres quite a bit of thread left on the bolts.

Enough to shim the plate down and maybe get the clearance needed.

I don’t see anything that seems to indicate this isn’t allowed. Whether it works or is allowed is a whole other thing.

That was going to be my next suggestion. Maybe a 1/4in or 3/8in spacer? It would add to ride height, which can be undone with the adjustments to get the right height. Ultimately it'll give up that same amount in total potential uptravel but in the grand scheme of things I'd prioritize the camber over that (since we're not talking 1/2"+ etc).

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
That was going to be my next suggestion. Maybe a 1/4in or 3/8in spacer? It would add to ride height, which can be undone with the adjustments to get the right height. Ultimately it'll give up that same amount in total potential uptravel but in the grand scheme of things I'd prioritize the camber over that (since we're not talking 1/2"+ etc).
So now the functional question is..
Does someone make a spacer plate? - a garage brew solution seems sketchy.

Otherwise I think just some fender washers on the bottom side of the strut tower, between it and the plate? At only 1/4”-3/8” maybe I could make something from aluminum plate? I would have to do it all by hand. I can’t seem to find anything online right off. But this is all new to me so I might not have the right terms or idea.