GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
2nd run on the V730 & they fell much better than the heat cycled RE71R. Great grip and good turn in.
Had a top 3 PAX driver co drive my car. I thought I was doing great until he ran 2 seconds faster than me in my own car.
Did learn a lot about the car and my lack of aggressiveness and trust in car's ability to turn at higher speeds.

Edit: I was 39/135 Pax. He was 10th.

My run

His run

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
2nd run on the V730 & they fell much better than the heat cycled RE71R. Great grip and good turn in.
Had a top 3 PAX driver co drive my car. I thought I was doing great until he ran 2 seconds faster than me in my own car.
Did learn a lot about the car and my lack of aggressiveness and trust in car's ability to turn at higher speeds.

My run

His run
Need to turn that aggression up as Joe did.

Winning feels nearly out of control.

Winning does not feel safe.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Need to turn that aggression up as Joe did.

Winning feels nearly out of control.

Winning does not feel safe.
I am starting to realize that.
I feel like I'm more of an endurance driver. Quick, but under control & being sympathetic to tires, engine etc. I.e. not on the edge of out of control

That doesn't work though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

My run

His run
I swear, having a professional driver as a codriver, that was always top 3 pax, ruined my confidence.

I was actually getting slower trying to catch him.

Much better this season. Yesterday he was 1st pax in a DS prepped R, I was 1.8 sec back in 14th out of 120.

Last few years I was 3 to 4 sec back from top pax almost every event. It was depressing.

When I first started having him co drive, I was .5 to 1 sec behind him. I'm hoping to get back there. If I can do that, I'll be happy. I'll never be an alien.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I swear, having a professional driver as a codriver, that was always top 3 pax, ruined my confidence.

I was actually getting slower trying to catch him.

Much better this season. Yesterday he was 1st pax in a DS prepped R, I was 1.8 sec back in 14th out of 120.

Last few years I was 3 to 4 sec back from top pax almost every event. It was depressing.

When I first started having him co drive, I was .5 to 1 sec behind him. I'm hoping to get back there. If I can do that, I'll be happy. I'll never be an alien.
Co-drivers are the best way to get faster. I love co-driving with really fast people to compare how we build speed / time differently over a course. It's really interesting to see how some people carry speed vs others

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Co-drivers are the best way to get faster. I love co-driving with really fast people to compare how we build speed / time differently over a course. It's really interesting to see how some people carry speed vs others
I hear you, and it works for many people, but it didn't work for me.

My buddy with the R has really gotten faster having him codriver.

What can I say, I'm untrainable. 🤷‍♂️

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do you run data?
Early on, yes, but not recently, but I can tell you exactly where I'm losing time. The best are good under braking, I'm not.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
^^^ Loving his podcasts lately. Really enjoyed the one about braking and specifically how to know when to stop braking. Really helped me this weekend. Some really good nuggets and some entertaining stories about working with drivers.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I've been working on revamping my gear ratio/per gear vehicle speed spreadsheet, pre-populated with the common MK7 transmissions (all GTI/R/Golf Wagon etc stuff). Do me a favor and check it out to audit for any errors, etc. I figure +/- 2 maybe 3mph error is realistic and any more needs looked further into. You'll need to save a copy to your own drive to edit and play with I believe.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=110828156993139591434&rtpof=true&sd=true

1680139152038.png

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I've been working on revamping my gear ratio/per gear vehicle speed spreadsheet, pre-populated with the common MK7 transmissions (all GTI/R/Golf Wagon etc stuff). Do me a favor and check it out to audit for any errors, etc. I figure +/- 2 maybe 3mph error is realistic and any more needs looked further into. You'll need to save a copy to your own drive to edit and play with I believe.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=110828156993139591434&rtpof=true&sd=true

View attachment 277068
Could you make it so each vehicle could have it's own tire size?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Can't seem to figure out how to edit anything