GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
When choosing tires, what is your goal? The A052 is probably just a hair quicker, but wears faster, and is more expensive. If you're not trying to win National level events, I don't see any need to be on A052's. RT660's wear better, are cheaper, and barely give up any performance.

I think the issue is he's having an issue finding RT660s.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
When choosing tires, what is your goal? The A052 is probably just a hair quicker, but wears faster, and is more expensive. If you're not trying to win National level events, I don't see any need to be on A052's. RT660's wear better, are cheaper, and barely give up any performance.

I'm not at the level to utilize A052 to their potential.

245 and 255 RT660 are not readily available in the sizes I am familiar with. I was wondering if anyone had perspective on if there was a better size I should be looking at over 245/40/R18, which is not available pretty much anywhere.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

245 and 255 RT660 are not readily available in the sizes I am familiar with. I was wondering if anyone had perspective on if there was a better size I should be looking at over 245/40/R18, which is not available pretty much anywhere.
Looks like most stuff in that size (245/40-18) is out of stock, best bet is to place an order and get on the list to get some.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

Good excuse to get some 17x9's. :)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I would personally go with the v730 if you can't get the RT660. I'd have no issue doing that, unless you expect a lot of rain.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I would personally go with the v730 if you can't get the RT660. I'd have no issue doing that, unless you expect a lot of rain.

Anyone know of any experience on the V730's for camber limited setups?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone know of any experience on the V730's for camber limited setups?

All I know is what Andy Hollis stated after testing them for GRM. They're compatible to RT660, but need a little more heat.

So unless you are running events in temps below 50 and expect to run in rain, they should be similar, but both RT660 and V730 will have slightly less stiff sidewalls that the RE71R, which may actually make them a little more forgiving.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
So I guess I'll post here first, but it's looking like I'll be putting the GTI back to stock soon and moving into something else in the near future. Planning to pull my suspension, RSB, and a few other parts this week. I'll post them for sale once everything is off, but if anyone in here is looking for 17x9s or Redshift coilovers feel free to shoot me a message.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So I guess I'll post here first, but it's looking like I'll be putting the GTI back to stock soon and moving into something else in the near future. Planning to pull my suspension, RSB, and a few other parts this week. I'll post them for sale once everything is off, but if anyone in here is looking for 17x9s or Redshift coilovers feel free to shoot me a message.

If you had posted this last month, I'd have picked up your redshifts. I just installed my koni Frankenstein setup over the weekend. 😒

With that being said, does anyone have a 2.5 ID 6 inch 6k spring they would part with?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
If you had posted this last month, I'd have picked up your redshifts. I just installed my koni Frankenstein setup over the weekend. 😒
This time last month was nationals, unfortunately didn't make the decision until pretty recently. There's always room for more suspension!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This time last month was nationals, unfortunately didn't make the decision until pretty recently. There's always room for more suspension!

My wife, i.e. CFO does not share your opinion about more suspension purchases. Lol.

Good luck with the sale.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Glad they're not 50mm, otherwise I would've had to take them off your hands 😂

Sucks that you're moving on. Do you know what you're going with?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Glad they're not 50mm, otherwise I would've had to take them off your hands 😂

Sucks that you're moving on. Do you know what you're going with?
There's a few local Miatæ for sale, so likely either an ND STR or NA STS car. I really want an NC, but finding one of those for sale at a non-gouging price is tough.

Edit: also FWIW, I'm pretty sure the only difference in the BC kit for the 50mm is the lower threaded portion of the coil, which could probably be purchased separately for not a lot (if you were serious)

Edit edit: $50 per side for that part

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
There's a few local Miatæ for sale, so likely either an ND STR or NA STS car. I really want an NC, but finding one of those for sale at a non-gouging price is tough.

Edit: also FWIW, I'm pretty sure the only difference in the BC kit for the 50mm is the lower threaded portion of the coil, which could probably be purchased separately for not a lot (if you were serious)

Edit edit: $50 per side for that part

Wasn't planning on spending anymore money on the Golf, but this is tempting, especially since I feel too much sloppiness and side to side motion with current coilovers since moving to stickier tires.

If you can confirm new lower mounts are the only difference and depending on price, I'll consider.