GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Density 034 Motor Mounts question

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Hello!
I recently had my stock motor mounts replaced with 034 street density in my 2015 manual with just barely shy of 80k.

The car was bucking in 1st quite a bit and showing the normal shifter slop one would expect with shot mounts. Most everyone at my shop has the 034s so went that direction.

Prior to this I had the 034 upper and lower dog bone inserts. This is my second lower insert, the first was an early one one eventually bent and cracked in half. The lower dog bone mount insert alone added a wee touch of NVH, the upper and lower added quite a bit. Not terrible, I enjoyed.

Adding the motor/trans mounts, I had prepared myself for some increase in cabin noise and vibrations at a livable amount. Here’s the thing though, my car now is notably quieter! By quite a lot!

My assumption is adding only the dog bone inserts both causes quite a bit of NVH and at the same time put more stress in the motor/trans mounts. Assuming that added stress beat the shit out of the trans mount.

I’m very happy with the car, still got to drive aggressively and check it all out but I am very curious why it is actually quieter with less vibrations 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is the lesson here “do all mounts together” plus a wee bit of “should have gone stiffer”?!

Thanks all!

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
You got the lesson spot on. Do all or nothing. And yes, should have gotten Bfi stage 1 😘
I was concerned with my fillings rattling out but damn if this all wasn’t eye opening! I’m happy with it all (for now… update ya in a year when I change to bfi lol)

Thank ya for the confirmation 🤟🏼

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I had the same 034 mounts for 6 months until I replaced them for BFI stage 1 mounts. I wish I would've just gotten BFI from the start but modifying my car has been somewhat of a learning process.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’ve got bfi stage1 *full replacement* mounts both collecting dust in my garage that after 8-10k miles I removed them and replaced with 034 street style (034,velt,cts all China specials) and I have zero regrets… different strokes but the sound and feel that bfi mounts gave my car was unacceptable to me for a modern daily driven car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
034 mounts and full 034 dogbone compliment (arm, upper/lower inserts, pucks)...really like this setup.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I'm a fan of 034 products, and will say the street density (SD) mounts are crap or just not suitable for most builds.

If you want an entry level mount BFI S1

If you want something beefier 034 Streetsport or BFI S2

Track... 034 Tracksport or BFI S3

I learned the same lesson with my Mk6 gti... Upgraded the dogbone insert to a 95 a durometer insert and my engine mounts said bye bye real quick.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm a fan of 034 products, and will say the street density (SD) mounts are crap or just not suitable for most builds.

If you want an entry level mount BFI S1

If you want something beefier 034 Streetsport or BFI S2

Track... 034 Tracksport or BFI S3

I learned the same lesson with my Mk6 gti... Upgraded the dogbone insert to a 95 a durometer insert and my engine mounts said bye bye real quick.
Should say "...not suitable for most fwd builds" is how it sounds.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Should say "...not suitable for most fwd builds" is how it sounds.
Basically, Fwd tears up the SD mounts pretty quick. Awd isn't as bad from what I've read.

I got 034 Streetsports, 034 Upper/Lower Insert, and 034 Dogbone.... Wheelhop gone, traction improved, everything is smoother. Mild increase in nvh, mostly due to ac or being in reverse (DSG).

I really can't recommend the SD mounts to anyone except maybe a stock or stage 1 car looking for a smidge more stiffness. And even then I'd just say go BFI S1 for most ppl

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Hello!
I recently had my stock motor mounts replaced with 034 street density in my 2015 manual with just barely shy of 80k.

The car was bucking in 1st quite a bit and showing the normal shifter slop one would expect with shot mounts. Most everyone at my shop has the 034s so went that direction.

Prior to this I had the 034 upper and lower dog bone inserts. This is my second lower insert, the first was an early one one eventually bent and cracked in half. The lower dog bone mount insert alone added a wee touch of NVH, the upper and lower added quite a bit. Not terrible, I enjoyed.

Adding the motor/trans mounts, I had prepared myself for some increase in cabin noise and vibrations at a livable amount. Here’s the thing though, my car now is notably quieter! By quite a lot!

My assumption is adding only the dog bone inserts both causes quite a bit of NVH and at the same time put more stress in the motor/trans mounts. Assuming that added stress beat the shit out of the trans mount.

I’m very happy with the car, still got to drive aggressively and check it all out but I am very curious why it is actually quieter with less vibrations 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is the lesson here “do all mounts together” plus a wee bit of “should have gone stiffer”?!

Thanks all!
I used the 034 Street Density mounts for a few years with my IS38 GTI and was happy with how they performed.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
BFI Stage 1 are suuuuper tolerable once broken in a little. First couple hundred miles on mine were notably more stiff but they've broken in with some driving and now NVH isn't much more than stock. I think I gained more NVH from the Powerflex hybrid than the engine/transmission mounts.

Agreed. Top of the list for NVH by far for me were the APR lower dogbone mount and upper 034 dogbone.