GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange tire wear?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
For primarily commuting, find an alignment shop willing to dial in your exact specs to even out the front caster, then fuss with the front suspension to get camber even on both sides and closest to zero (-1.0 to 0 degrees) with zero toe. Rear should be set to -1.3 deg (min spec) camber and .03" (min spec) toe-in each side.

If all you're doing is commuting, very little camber is fine. But for any spirited driving, more camber is going to have huge positive effects. Especially given the lack of camber gain in MacPherson strut suspensions.

For reference, the E92 m3 has -1.2 deg, focus RS -1.5 deg, etc. Golf R has -.8.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Curious about the tire wear I'm seeing on my fronts.

Nicely corded tire in pic #1! That's usually what we'd see at the track, except then it'd be on the outside edge.

While negative camber can wear the inside edge, the R has very little neg camber as stock, and it's not adjustable. You can only seek to equalize camber left/right by loosening the subframe and nudging it laterally.

This suggests you have an alignment problem. Since your last alignment was 5K miles ago, and you apparently don't have its printout anyway, there's not much point in revisiting that. Have your mechanic put the car up on a lift and check the front suspension for any damage, play, worn bushings, etc. Then get new tires and a fresh alignment to factory spec. Make sure they give you the printout, then keep your eye on tire wear so that you don't trash another set of nice Michelins.

Neil

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Thank you all for the valuable information! When I get new tires (likely the same, Sport 4s have been fantastic) Ill be sure to get that alignment print out.

Steve.