GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange issue with license plate lights

I am getting some strange error and also having a problem with one of the license plate lights. These are still oem bulbs, no leds anywhere.

The issue is one side lights up. I took the bulb out and it looked fine. I switched it into the other socket and it worked. Weird thing is I pulled the bulb out of one side and plugged it into the other and it works. Both bulbs are fine, both sockets seem to be working but not at the same time. Only one side will light up. It makes no sense at all

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Never had issues with the incandescent bulbs but when I did my LED I found out they were polarized and would only work when put in one direction. Had to rotate them 180 degrees and then it worked.

That being said sounds like it's time to upgrade to LED's. Deautokey sells the housings in combo with the LEDs which sounds like a good idea for you, just in case it's the housing

nype

Drag Racing Champion

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Many people have been just going with these...

My 15$ "OEM" chinese LED plate lights (correct coding to use included)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...tex.com/showthread.php?t=8379914&share_type=t

Those are not error free plug or play.

Those linked ebay LEDs (from sale dates) have ONLY been installed in a MK7 at the most for 3 months so you are looking at potential failure or issues when you have no track record of longer than 3 months installed in a car. You can ONLY leave feedback on those LEDs on ebay after 60 days, so past 2 months you have 0 feedback on these and what matters most with these LEDs is longevity and how they act in the long run (water seal/pcb board/diodes/resistors).

Also, those ship from China and can take a few months to receive, if you have a failure you are looking at $30 total spent to purchase another set.

Our LEDs have a lifetime warranty - error free - plug and play - no coding required - ship quickly within the US.

We won't say don't go with those or saying you should not, but only referencing all facts pertaining to those LEDs.

--

We have the bulb/resistor setup - uses OEM housing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

OR replace your entire housing - includes error free adapters no coding required all plug and play:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-led-complete-housing-error-free-plug-play

ALL LEDs for your car:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-gti-golf-mk7-2015

--

We will get more info on the PCB board they are using as you can see the OEM PCB board looks like this - we feel they are falsely being advertised as OEM from what we can tell currently BUT we are unable to tell as we did not personally test or try to test these to see if they are OEM, we are only going on what we have seen from OEM LEDs.

Examples:
-OEM are not as bright as the ones being sold on ebay
-OEM has a GREEN PCB board while the ebay model has a white pcb board
-OEM has a different plastic lens style than the ebay model
-No code stamped on the ebay model like the OEM model
-From what we can tell the diodes are different and the cut in the plastic where the light shines are also different

What we are guessing is they are using a similar OEM plastic housing but using their OWN PCB board setup and why they are $15 vs the $100+ OEM sell for, again this is speculations and not based on fact. We are not here to say don't purchase these, we are only posting to share the differences we see.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Those linked ebay LEDs (from sale dates) have ONLY been installed in a MK7 at the most for 3 months

That is flat out completely false. I'm not sure why you'd say that when AliExpress sellers have been selling this exact plate bulb setup for several years. Yeah, maybe the eBay sale dates say 3 months for that particular seller, but you're well aware of these same lights from AliExpress. I know you are because I've seen your comments in other threads about these lamps from much longer than 3 months ago.

I have had these same plate lights on my car since March of 2016. So, 1 year zero issues after changing the coding to LED to ditch the dashboard error.

For the record, I own about $300 worth of your products too, but I took the chance on these for $9 shipped via AliExpress and have been 100% satisfied. Furthermore, I know several guys who have run into issues with the resistor setup or failures of your plate LEDs, yes you replace them under warranty, but I'll stick with my $9 chance taken.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
That is flat out completely false. I'm not sure why you'd say that when AliExpress sellers have been selling this exact plate bulb setup for several years. Yeah, maybe the eBay sale dates say 3 months for that particular seller, but you're well aware of these same lights from AliExpress. I know you are because I've seen your comments in other threads about these lamps from much longer than 3 months ago.

I have had these same plate lights on my car since March of 2016. So, 1 year zero issues after changing the coding to LED to ditch the dashboard error.

For the record, I own about $300 worth of your products too, but I took the chance on these for $9 shipped via AliExpress and have been 100% satisfied.

Hi, we go by what we see and not basing it on any testing personally done, we want to be clear with that - for example it can seem that many China sellers are offering the same product but you can never tell if they are the same exact PCB board going inside the housing, as we said it looks like a custom PCB board but we also said we are not 100% certain without any testing and only our guess by COMPARING what we see on a OEM housing.

Many blur out the VW logo in their product photo - many vendors here sell actual OEM license plates for $100+ and there are many vendors here that also sell aftermarket (yes including us but we are not the only vendor selling aftermarket LEDs) - this is in no way to influence the decision but to only share - when we say ONLY tested for 3 months we are going by the ebay ones linked, not the aliexpress as that is not the one being posted:

For failure rate on our license plates, they are low defect rate and like you said you are seeing many people who run our setup for years and they include the resistors to eliminate errors.

As we said our post is not to deter anyone in purchasing but to post what we see between OEM vs the ones being shared as we heard that these are OEM and wondering if anyone knows if this is true or not as all we are doing is comparing actual OEM vs the ones linked from photos.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Can we please go back to the point of this thread. Having weird issue with oem incandescent bulbs, need advice to fix. No cash for leds

Sorry, we apologize, we are only very curious about the "OEM" China market and wanted to share what we were finding.

I am getting some strange error and also having a problem with one of the license plate lights. These are still oem bulbs, no leds anywhere.

The issue is one side lights up. I took the bulb out and it looked fine. I switched it into the other socket and it worked. Weird thing is I pulled the bulb out of one side and plugged it into the other and it works. Both bulbs are fine, both sockets seem to be working but not at the same time. Only one side will light up. It makes no sense at all

-For this issue basic troubleshooting is required first to rule out the obvious.

-Check if the connection is secure
-Buy new 194/peanut glass bulbs - a few $
-Replace the fuse that is linked with the license plates

And from what we are reading, both work if used separately, but when both plugged in it does not work?

Is the error always popping up or only occasionally?

This car sounds like it should be under warranty, if you bring it into your dealer they should help you out, but please keep us updated in what you find out.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Interestingly enough now it's all gone. No error, both lights working fine. After an entire day of an error

Did it happen on a cold start? It sounds like it was a voltage issue, not enough volts got to the license plate probably, if you drove car/warmed up battery etc more voltage is going to be running through your car fixing the issue.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Spoke too soon. It's doing it again

Not surprised. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Time to take it to the dealership.

smorris65

My car does the same thing as your's. Sometimes I can kill the car and restart and the dash light does not come on. Or I can walk around back and tap the lens and it will come on. very frustrating, and your not alone.