GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange engine noise

damo0486

Hi guys, wondering if you can help me out.

Noticed a rather strange noise which appears to be coming from the engine bay at higher revs (4K and up). The noise sounds like a raspy induction noise, as if I'd fit a k&n cone or even like a blowing noise from a hole in the exhaust or a blown gasket.

I've just fit a dtuk box to the car but the noise isn't related as I'd heard it once or twice before. It's really odd and on a quick inspection I can't see anything untoward. Oil levels have been consistent and the car isn't loosing water.

Any ideas?

ROBK75

Ready to race!
There is an enhancer and sometimes it can be a bit temperamental. Last time my car was in with the guy who mapped it he thought the engine was shot until I told him to try it in Normal mode, then it stopped.

Most of the time it just gives a muffled growl under hard acceleration but now and again it sounds like a bag of spanners, it's probably that.

damo0486

Any way of completely disconnecting the enhancer?

Sounds like it might be that, as said will try normal tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I think you need to get under the bonnet to do that, or you could use Individual mode to set everything up in sport except for the engine

damo0486

Drive in this morning with car set to "normal" and couldn't replicate the noise. Will take the car for a proper thrashing this afternoon and try again.

Still trying to work out which setting I prefer on the DTUK, tempted to go for a hard map but worried about the warranty then. Hmmm.

Thanks.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Hi guys, wondering if you can help me out.

Noticed a rather strange noise which appears to be coming from the engine bay at higher revs (4K and up). The noise sounds like a raspy induction noise, as if I'd fit a k&n cone or even like a blowing noise from a hole in the exhaust or a blown gasket.

I've just fit a dtuk box to the car but the noise isn't related as I'd heard it once or twice before. It's really odd and on a quick inspection I can't see anything untoward. Oil levels have been consistent and the car isn't loosing water.

Any ideas?

Maybe it's your GTD telling you to get a GTI if you want to rev it past 4k. Most of the power comes in at or before 3k.

damo0486

Well the initial noise that I was concerned about seems like it was down to the sound enhancer. The car doesnt do it when in "normal" mode. That said my ears have managed to pick up a new one.

A tapping or a ticking noise between 1k and 2k revs, have had the car on the drive and tried to have a listen around the engine bay but for the life of me I cannot determine where it is coming from. My ears are trying to tell me injectors or even the alternator belt area.

Are there any videos around showing the GTD engine noise, maybe I can compare to see if what I am hearing is normal.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Yep, its the internal sound speaker on the bulk-head that's adding noise in 'Sport' mode. If you know someone with a VCDS cable you can turn it off in the coding rather than look to disconnect wiring.