GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Auto AC on when the heat is on

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
The weather is getting colder each day as winter is fast approaching. I notice that when I turn on my heat using the fan blower, my car automatically activates the AC function. Does anyone know why? I do not have the setting for front defrost which makes me curious as to why this is. Is there a way to turn it off? I had already tried the OBDeleven to have memory hvac on and it worked for a while when the weather is warmer.

My guess is that the car knows that the weather is getting cooler and decides to kick the AC on. I heard that running the compressor when it's cold outside can hurt the system. Perhaps someone here, smarter than me can explain it?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
It dehumidifies but it is also how the auto temp, keeps the Temp at a steady degree.
If it just had the heat on it would have to increase and lower all the time and you would get temperature swings. With AC activated it mixes the air to the Temp you set and can keep it there with no swings.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
It dehumidifies but it is also how the auto temp, keeps the Temp at a steady degree.
If it just had the heat on it would have to increase and lower all the time and you would get temperature swings. With AC activated it mixes the air to the Temp you set and can keep it there with no swings.
Interesting, do you know if this applies to vehicles with manual Hvac? Mines a non auto climate control.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The weather is getting colder each day as winter is fast approaching. I notice that when I turn on my heat using the fan blower, my car automatically activates the AC function. Does anyone know why? I do not have the setting for front defrost which makes me curious as to why this is. Is there a way to turn it off? I had already tried the OBDeleven to have memory hvac on and it worked for a while when the weather is warmer.

My guess is that the car knows that the weather is getting cooler and decides to kick the AC on. I heard that running the compressor when it's cold outside can hurt the system. Perhaps someone here, smarter than me can explain it?

You can't hurt it. It runs when you use the front defrost function anyway.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Do you have a defrost setting? I'm thinking that would answer your question.
I do have the front defroster but out of curiosity, why would that kick on if my setting is on the vents and not the defroster? I wonder if vw code it to automatically kick on for humidity purpose. All my other vehicles does not auto turn on ac. Instead it opens the vents.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Even my 98 camry turns on the A/C when defrost is on full