GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Straight Ahead Brake Stabilization

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I wasn't able to find much useful info on what happens when this feature is deactivated. Are there any benefits to turning this off?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I wasn't able to find much useful info on what happens when this feature is deactivated. Are there any benefits to turning this off?

The benefits are increased potential for losing control of your car when you are driving extremely fast and slamming on the brakes. Is that something you are looking for?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Or it does the complete and total opposite. I had a really weird side to side shimmy under hard braking and had no clue what it was. It felt like a caliper on one side hung up followed by one on the other. It would happen regardless of brake temperature or pad/rotor/fluid condition. It also elongated stopping distances and present pedal feel similar to brake fade. I turned straight ahead brakes stabilization and hydraulic brake assist off now I can stop from any speed with ease and predictability.

I'm not quite sure in what scenario this system would help, but if you've ever felt a whole car shimmy under braking this is likely your cause!
I'll need to test it out. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Or it does the complete and total opposite. I had a really weird side to side shimmy under hard braking and had no clue what it was. It felt like a caliper on one side hung up followed by one on the other. It would happen regardless of brake temperature or pad/rotor/fluid condition. It also elongated stopping distances and present pedal feel similar to brake fade. I turned straight ahead brakes stabilization and hydraulic brake assist off now I can stop from any speed with ease and predictability.

I'm not quite sure in what scenario this system would help, but if you've ever felt a whole car shimmy under braking this is likely your cause!

How fast were you going? I read where the higher your speed the more you want this ABS enhancement.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I've noticed this system kicking in more and more since I installed some aggressively slotted rotors. With the combo of rough roads around here and my rotors, I can feel the system kicking in when I have to quickly brake from about 80 or so. I'm going to try and get some braking test data with the system enabled and disabled. I don't have dragy, but I do have Torque and an OBDII-bluetooth adapter for it

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Bump

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I deactivated this long ago due to the side to side oscillation it causes. Example: on the highway at 60-70mph with a car in front of me, strong acceleration then lane change to pass caused extreme steering oscillation by using the brakes to try and keep the car straight.

It's very unnerving when it happens. Other have reported nearly losing control taking off ramps at speed. It only seems to happen when these cars have added power via a tune. It's like the feature can't cope with the added power and over corrects to the steering input.

Feels to me like it's more of a torque steer compensation rather than for stability while braking.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Funny it won't accept the typical security code for the brake module to let me change this.

rbboutback

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI PP 2013
Hi, last year i bought a 2013 mk7 gti performance. I started to notice exactly the same issue when breaking hard. The tyres had only a few thousand kms left so eventually i got michelin ps4. The problem remained. Then I changed brake rotors and pads, but did not solve it. I started investigating about new shocks, bushings ,..but after reading your post I used obd eleven to deactivate "straight ahead brake stabilization". Took the car to the highway and after a few hard brakings from 130km/h noticed a big improvement. Today I drove on a mountain road and no side to side movement! I couldn't believe it. Ruling out mechanical parts can be expensive and time consuming, this adaptation took 2 minutes. My XDS setting is STANDAR and left hydraulic brake assistant at NORMAL. Thanks!

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Anyone that commented on this post have anything bad to say about disabling this?